Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Digital cameras

About the cameras I'm using:
The first digital camera I bought was from Ebay, a Fuji DS-7, 640 x 480 resolution camera with 2 mb Smartmedia card! The pictures were not exactly blurry, more unclear than anything else but the colors were fully saturated and gorgeous. I was about to donate it to the Goodwill but I may keep it for it's historical value-one of the first consumer digital cameras. I paid less than a hundred (not worth it) in 1997 but I think the original price was $600 plus!

Then in quick succession came the Olympus C-3000, 3.3 megapixel camera. The Fuji FinePix 1300, 1.3 megapixel snapshot camera since given to some friend's kids to play with. A Nikon Coolpix 3100, 3.1 megapixel to replace the Fuji as a snapshot camera. The Nikon is a very nice compact camera that takes very sharp pictures but uses batteries very quickly. I guess it's because it uses only 2 AA batteries which makes it light and compact so that's the trade off. Next came the Oly C-720 UZ, 10X zoom, 2 megapixel since given to my brother-in-law to get him started in digital photography and my current Oly C-740 UZ, 10X, 3 megapixel bought almost simultaneously with the C-720 on Ebay. I just won the C-720 was tracking the C-740, put in a riduculously low bid and won it! The C-740 is a wonderful camera and the long lens is great for wildlife photos and taking closeups of skittish critters-butterflies, insects, birds etc. A white deer who frequented the overgrown open lot in the back of our house was an incentive to purchase a long lens camera.

I also have a Aiptek 1.3 megapixel Mini PenCam sort of a toy spycam. Very tiny and light. Good for field trips to the nurseries or gardens. But I would like to have something with more resolution and easily pocketable. I think the Samsung Digimax 301 would fit the bill. It's a no frills snapshot camera with 3 megapixels and only $118 at WalMart but I'll have to get if past the gatekeeper.

The photos of the previously posted flowers were taken with the Nikon Coolpix. Picasa reduces the resolution of the photos for posting so you don't see the true quality of the picture.

The best thing about a digital camera is the lcd. I think the frame of the lcd makes it much easier to compose a photo than looking through a viewfinder. You are too much "in the scene" with the viewfinder imho. It was a revelation looking at the waist level focusing screen of an old Rolleiflex and composing the picture. More about this later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory