Sunday, March 04, 2007

Lunar eclipse yesterday 3/04/07


I periodically looked out our windows to see if the moon was visible. We had mostly cloudy skies with the moon obscured with gauzy clouds, making for a diffuse moon most of the time. I had to wait for brief clearings to try my hand at lunar photography.

I used a monopod and 17x optical zoom with my digital camera. The monopod was a big mistake because although it controlled the up and down movements the combined 17x zoom and low light long exposure times doomed the project. It's amazing how your heartbeats are magnified by using such a long lens. By the time I set up a tripod the clouds had really moved in. I looked out later and the skies had cleared but the eclipse was so far advanced that the moon only looked like a barely crescent moon rather than one that was covered by a shadow.

The photo is the best of the lot. At least I learned a few things about astronomical photography.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

I think the shot came out great. Doesn't look like a learning experience at all. Well done.

I, of course forgot all about the eclipse even though I had it written on my calendar in bright red letters!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Anthony,
My problem is that I usually even forget to look at the calendar ;) Hopefully I'll get better or at least use the right equipment when trying to do low light photography. In my haste at trying to get the picture I forgot all about long exposure times.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory