Thursday, June 14, 2007

Bloom Day - June

For once I am on time for Bloom Day. Actually I'm ahead of time because I'm writing this on Thursday.

We are in a lull. The more interesting flowers have either bloomed or are getting ready to bloom. There are a few exceptions but most are of the most common variety.


Verbascum 'Southern Charm' Mullein
We usually planted the giant Verbascum olympicum which bloomed the second year after planting then died after blooming. It had a whitish silvery look because of the white hairs on the leaves and a weird twisting habit of its 6' tall flower stalk which would unwind as the flowers progressively bloomed from bottom to top. I was never able to find V. olympicum very easily and the ones sold as V. olympicum turned out to be something else so we stopped buying the plants. Instead we settled on the small V. 'Southern Charm' which is a perennial. This is the second year this one is blooming. Not physically imposing but nice nonetheless.





We bought several Delphinium plants at the local nursery because they had some varieties with interesting dusky colors. The blue was very striking so we had to add that to the collection even though we had several blues already.



This is a plain old field poppy that probably came in a box of wildflowers we planted several years ago. Why it turned up in a bed several dozen feet where it was originally sown I have no clue but there are many of the same plants in the bed. I do like the brilliant red and contrasting light mustard color of the stamens.



I was surprised to see this Dianthus which bloomed much later than the ones I blogged about earlier probably because it is under heavy shade. It must once have been planted in full sun but everything around it grew so it is almost completely shaded now. It is leggy but still blooms. It must be a very old plant because I don't remember planting Dianthus where it is growing.



I know, I know, it's just a plain old petunia. I had to give it some notice because I like the very nice brilliant dark pink-red color.



The first misshapen bloom of a day lily.




And two very plain asiatic lilies. The nicer ones are yet to bloom.




Finally, not to give short shrift to shrubs, here's a Viburnum that's blooming now. This is one of the first Viburnums we planted but I don't know what kind it is (V. lentago, V. Wrightii?). It has remained a medium sized shrub and is not as fast growing as some others. It also doesn't throw up suckers so it remains a neat bush.

14 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

Thanks for participating in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. You have a lot blooming, especially in a "lull". I am particularly envious of the delphiniums you have blooming because they don't do well here, but I keep trying.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Carol,
Thank you for hosting Bloom Day. It's always nice to see what others are growing.

Fortunately Delphiniums grow readily where we live and are usually strong enough to withstand getting blown over. I'm surprised they don't grow well in Indiana. It must be the soil because the tall Delphiniums (elatum) are hardy to zone 3. We have acid clay. If you drink coffee, adding the grounds would help to acidify your soil around the Delphiniums. It works wonders on our blueberries-even our acid soil is not acid enough for them. I'm contemplating going to the local Starbucks to see if they'll give me some coffee grounds.

9:13 AM  
Blogger DragonStone said...

Bloom Day?

I've been waiting for my Stargazers to bloom. The yellow, whites, and oranges are blooming/have bloomed.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Dragonstone,
See Carol's blog May Gardens at:

http://maydreamsgardens.blogspot.com/

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - June 2007.
She started a concept of showing whatever is blooming in your garden on the 15th of every month and called it Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day which is fast becoming a tradition if it isn't already. You post your photos on your blog and leave a comment on her blog so people who read the comment can link to your website/blog to view your photos. Cool huh! I always seem to forget but this month I was on the ball and got my pictures posted on time.

I am waiting for our better lilies to bloom also. The deer have eaten some but I hope the remaining ones are the nicer ones. ;(

6:57 PM  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

There's nothing wrong with plain old petunias, every year I have them too in the garden. ;-) Very pretty that Verbascum of yours. Poppies turn up all over the garden I find, which is fine by me. Love the Delphiniums!!!

Your Viburnum is looking good, both the flowers and the shape of the shrub!

There's blooms at Bliss too! Just a few. ;-)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Entangled said...

The flowers on that Verbascum are interesting. I had a V. chaxii(?) that looked somewhat like that, but smaller. It came back for several years, but disappeared a few seasons ago.

We're in a lull here too - waiting for the lilies and daylilies.

3:38 AM  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Ki,

You asked what was the Viburnum blooming over on my site and I suggested Linden Viburnum however that is not this one as the leaves are different. I 'll take a look in the garden and see if I have anything like this.

3:52 AM  
Blogger QT said...

Your blooms are gorgeous - I love your delphiniums, I have a blue as well that is electric! I planted a verbascum this year for the first time and I was surprised by how small it was. It bloomed right away when I bought it and hasn't since.

I love lilies - I can't wait to see the rest of yours! I am impatiently awaiting my stargazers.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely tour of what's blooming, Ki. I love that 'Southern Charm' verbascum and it's good to know it's the second year in bloom. Do you have to cut the flower stalk back after it blooms to keep it going, or...?

5:37 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Yolanda Elizabet,
I will definitely stop by Bliss to see your flowers. The Verbascum does have soft nice colors and thank heavens for the annuals. They do a yeoman job of filling in the gaps when other plant are not blooming.

Entangled,
That's too bad that you lost your Verbascum. The one pictured 'Southern Charm' is a small plant, perhaps 2 feet tall so it may be a close cousin of your V. chaixii. I looked up pictures of V. chaixii and they are definitely not the same. 'Southern Charm' is much smaller and somehow seems less like a Verbascum and more like a foxglove plant with Verbascum flowers. I guess the lull can be thought of as the start of the summer doldrums?

Chris,
Thanks. I really should keep better records but a lot of times the plants I buy don't have identifying tags. And even if they do, often times they're mislabeled anyway so what to do?

Qt,
Thanks. The delphiniums really are something. When I was taking the pictures the electric quality of the blue was not evident. I guess I was too busy to notice. I went back after I looked at the pictures because I was so taken by the color and it is as blue as in the photo. The photo is not enhanced/manipulated in a photo editor either. It's straight from the camera.

the Verbascums I was aquainted with earlier were always the big architectural plants. We started noticing these smaller Verbascums 2 or 3 years ago and liked the colors and the shape of the flowers. I thought they were some kind of miniature hibiscus or hollyhock when I first saw them.

The stargazers are sure taking their time. We are also impatiently waiting for them to bloom. Unfortunately they will be past bloom for the next Blogger Bloom Day. I took a quick look at your blog and love the Heliotrope. Fondly reminds me of the ones we grew. Thanks for your comment.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kim,
We can hardly keep up with the planting, pruning, weeding and such that we don't really dead head many of our plants. And we definitely did not dead head the Verbascum last year but it didn't seem to suffer for it. I agree I really do like the look of 'Southern Charm'. The light yellow color of the petals are perfect with the purple stamen and pistil.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grow a lot of the 'big architectural' (I just call them coarse) verbascums. They're all biennials and die after flowering. But oh do they ever seed around. I never have any shortage of plants.

I haven't tried any of the newer, smaller, 'bred up' verbascums. Are they truly perennial or do they tend to fade away after flowering?

3:55 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Craig,
We planted the Verbascum 'Southern Charm' last spring. It bloomed then and re-bloomed this spring.

We planted at least a couple of the big Verbascums but they didn't produce seed like yours did. I wonder why as there didn't seem to be a lack of pollinators. all kinds of bees and flies were around the flowers. I would have loved if the V. Olympicum would have re-seeded itself.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory