Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Spring Exuberance

I messed up the sequence again using the multiple photo uploader. I have to remember that the last photo of the five entered becomes the first photo of the blog. Annie in Austin suggested I try moving the photos using Internet Explorer by click and grab but it didn't work. I'll leave it as it is and will try to do better next time.





This is the early red tulip in the previous posting, fully open now. This seems to be a specie tulip. It is very early and the flowers are not very large but it is one of my favorites.




Crocus still blooming. With the 60 degree temps forecasted for the weekend and beyond they probably won't last too much longer.





The smallest of our white Magnolia stellata but almost in full bloom when the larger trees are only partially blooming.




Legacy hyacinths.




Magnolia x loebneri 'Merrill'. This was a great impluse buy. It had lush green leaves when I saw it at a nursery and even if it didn't have any flowers then, I bought it anyway not knowing how the flowers looked. It is a vigorous grower and the flowers turned out to be very lovely. It almost looks like a M. stellata with wider petals with a very slight pink tinge. It also has a sweet fragrance but stinky sweet to my nose.






More early tulips and scilla.




A bunch of the same red tulips as in the first photo.






Magnolia stellata photos.




Magnolia stellata ... becoming.






Blue Hyacinths. I don't really care for hyacinths. I find their thickly flowered spike to be rather clunky (can't think of a better word) and the scent sickly sweet. Of the hyacinths I like the second of these two the best because of the yellow-green and blue flowers. I realized the photo is laying on the side but for some strange reason it doesn't look weird, like it was meant to be displayed that way. :)





Happy Johnny.





White Magnolia stellata bud.






Two photos of a specie tulip. I think this may be Tulipa turkestanica but I can't be sure. I'll have to do some checking.





More Johnnys.





A pink variation of the Magnolia stellata just opening.

14 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Unless you are writing about something where the sequence is important, I wouldn't worry to much about it if you want a picture blog like this one. Besides, you don't put the text in until after the pictures go in anyway.

Sequence is sometimes important to me since I write about more than just the garden.

The click and drag usually does work for me, but it is such a pain when I'm putting on a lot of pics like this post.

Your pictures are gorgeous.

10:00 AM  
Blogger DeeMom said...

Wonderful pictures

Our Hyacinths are just starting

love Johnny Jump Ups

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Click and drag?!? Huh? I can't wait to go home and try it. You learn something new everyday.

Awesome pictures as usual.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Julie, I had the pictures loosely grouped in separate piles on my desktop. I would have liked to keep the magnolias as a set and tulips in another but it didn't work out. I'll keep at it and hopefully soon it will be slightly more coherent. As you say the picture of the plant/flower is the important element so I should be happy that I can post so many photos at one time. Thank for the nice comment.

----------------------------------
Hi Deemom,

Thank you. The Johnny jump ups are all volunteer and come up annually all around the house. We bought some of the commercially produced types but those weren't very hardy and soon perished so we just enjoy the volunteers. I guess I should try to like hyacinths better. After all they are one of the first flowers to bloom in the spring.

---------------------------------
Hey Anthony,
Isn't that the truth. I'm glad there are a lot well informed people so they can share stuff that makes life easier. Thanks for the kind words.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow... what gorgeous pictures! Your impulse-buy magnolia is a stunner... but I'm really in love with that sweet, short red tulip. I thought it was "just" cute in the first picture, but seeing the whole grouping together looks like a bouquet out in the yard. Wow.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kim,
The tulips don't last very long, maybe for a couple of weeks and a bit longer if the weather stays cool but I really love this small early tulip especially in groups. The deer love to eat them though, actually deer love tulips period so that's the downside but a really nice and bright flower for the spring garden. I tried to buy more but I bought the wrong kind. Someone mentioned what it was last year but I didn't write it down and can't remember the name of it. Thanks for visiting.

3:53 AM  
Blogger joey said...

Sequence or no sequence ... your photos are lovely, Ki :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks Joey but nothing like your photo of the Paphiopedilum orchid. Incredible! Really great job in capturing the complex colors and shape of a unique flower.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Les said...

Your photos are great, so don't worry about the sequence. Sequence in the garden is also hard to control. I am glad that spring has come to Jersey.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Les, love the photos you took of tulips. I'm glad for spring too even if this wasn't a tough winter for us. Thanks for visiting.

6:33 AM  
Blogger kate smudges said...

Your Magnolia pictures are beautiful - I'd love to be able to bury my nose in their scent. It is hard to imagine your garden being so far advanced when mine's still brown and covered in dead foliage from last year. One of these days ... by Sunday, we are supposed to have warmer temperatures.

I love those early-flowering tulips.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kate,
The species tulips are very early blooming and though small are quite lovely.

Some of the later blooming magnolias have an exquisite scent. The stellatas and Merrill are sweet smelling but too sickly sweet in my opinion. The yellow Butterflies is just about to open but I don't remember if they have a scent. Two new magnolias are getting ready to bloom too. A Magnolia x soulangiana 'Rustica Rubra' and a red flowered variety I can't remember the name of. I'll give them the sniff test and report back :)

I'm sure your brown garden will be suddenly transformed with the arrival of warm weather. I Look forward to seeing your unusual plants.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Gotta Garden said...

Such nice photos, as always. I especially enjoyed the magnolia stellata ones...sigh...since mine is just a carcass awaiting removal. I don't think I'm brave enough to try it again until our water situation gets figured out (if). My neighbor's yellow magnolia is blooming and I enjoy it from afar. Can't wait to see yours burst into bloom!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the little species tulips. There is something exuberant that the soldierly hybrid ones lack.

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory