Sunday, January 16, 2005

One more on fungus and I'll stop, I promise

We have had very bad infestations(?) of powdery mildew in the last two years. This stuff infects our dogwoods (very badly), magnolias, blackeyed susans, apples, mountain azaleas and many other plants I can't remember now. The dogwoods were so badly infected that the leaves drooped, turned prematurely yellow and dropped off the trees. I've been spraying with elemental sulphur the least toxic fungicide and the bonus is it also helps to acidify the soil. But I have to spray every week if it rains and it's a real chore to have to do that. Has anyone else had problems with this and what do you do to correct the situation? This year we've raked all the leaves around the affected plants and I will do pre-emergent spraying of the sulphur. If that doesn't work I'll try some of the oil sprays although I'm not very keen on doing so.

The darned thing is that almost all the affected plants are in full sun and not densely planted so they get lots of air and are not in dampish conditions at all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

One of the mildews - there are two types, if I remember correctly - one of them is a response to dry conditions (how ironic is that?)

So something you might try is to water the affected plants as you see the problem coming on, and watch to see if that makes a difference.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Jenn,
I was not aware that there was a mildew that thrived in dry conditions. Ironic indeed!
We definitely have powdery mildew. The problem is we have too much humidity during the summer. I will do a little test on one plant to see if spraying water on the leaves will make the mildew go away. Thanks for the comment.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory