Monday, April 03, 2006

Dr. Merrill magnolia




I love all magnolias but this is a favorite.

Our Dr. Merrill magnolia (Magnolia x loebneri) is in full bloom now. I like it better and better every year. It's multi petaled like the stellata but the petals are much fuller and when slightly opened which I think is the most attractive state, looks somewhat like magnolia cylindrica blossoms. I am a little concerned that it's not growing as vigorously as I thought it would. When I first bought it, it was lush and full of leaves which 1/3 promptly turned brown and fell off despite constant care. But it otherwise seems to be doing well enough.

Click on the photo to enlarge.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Merrill said...

Our Dr. Merrill magnolia is 10 years old. It is about 18 feet tall with the same spread. It gets better every year. The fragrance is wonderful. Continue to care for it and it should be looking great for you.

We occasionally use a fertilizer for acid loving plants (azealeas) and it helps it bloom very well.
Dr.Rob Merrill
East Wentchee, WA

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory