Sunday, July 02, 2006

Swallowtail butterfly larvae?



I found this worm on the dog walk. It was just lying on the sidewalk...how it got there is a mystery. No plants nearby but a very large silver maple tree. I think it's a swallowtail larvae but will have to look it up to be sure. Nice color tho and sorta cute with its false eyes on top of the body. The head is the beige colored small portion at the very front. Stuck it on the newly planted spicebush as it's purported to be one of the worm's favorite food source. Hope we see it pupate one day and fly away as a butterly.

P.S. Thanks to Janet, the caterpillar has been IDed. It is a Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus).

Here's a pretty cool website for caterpillar identification.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Not the same kind as I had, but I googled the images and it looks just like an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks Janet,
I looked it up too and it sure looks like an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. I looked for it on the spicebush but no sign of it. I hope it didn't get eaten.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory