Friday, March 30, 2007

Tiny wildflowers - weeds? and moss picture









There are these tiny wildflowers growing between the curb and sidewalk. The flowers have been blooming since fall so I'm quite amazed that it's still blooming now. Each flower is probably only about the size of a peppercorn or smaller. The plant forms a rosette and sends up a slender flower stalk. Small but very tough so it probably must be some kind of weed. Our neighbor's lawn service liberally applies herbicides but it doesn't faze this tenacious plant.

I took a picture of this moss that has flowers? on a red stalk. I believe it's the same moss as the one I previously posted but the stalk on that one wasn't as red but probably the same variety.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rurality said...

I don't think I've ever seen that weed/flower. It's nicer looking than mose of our weeds. :)

11:46 AM  
Blogger kate said...

The rosettes look like an androsace - a rock garden plant. Mine has spread throughout the garden and comes up between the patio bricks ...


Oh your magnolia pic is gorgeous ...

have a good weekend!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Tree hugging said...

The moss "flowers" are actually the diploid sporophyte generation of the plant (In people, that's us, and an egg or sperm would be a gametophyte generation). These stalks then release spores that create a new haploid gametophyte generation moss plant, and the cycle begins anew.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Lonnie, thanks for the moss information. Now I know what to call those flower like things ;)

I see you are a Ramp lover too! Great post.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Kim and Kate, I left a reply to your comment but it didn't get posted. I'm sorry for that.

Kim, It is a rather attractive flower/weed though tiny but tough as it bloomed all winter. My kind of plant.

Kate, I looked at a androsace website and I believe you're right. Thank you so much for identifying the plant. So now I know it's not a weed. I looked at several of the photos but haven't seen it though some of the varieties come close. I'll take a look again when I have more time and hope to make a definitive ID. Thanks for pointing the way.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory