Sunday, June 24, 2007

First rays of the sun catching the leaves of a small Japanese Maple



The camera doesn't quite capture this exquisite early morning tableau. We were having coffee and tea on the deck when my wife said "look at that" pointing to the Japanese maple, poppies, petunias, lillies, lobelia and calla. The early morning sun had just risen enough to light this small patch of the garden and presented a quickly changing spotlight. My wife said she was affected by the previously mentioned movie "The Impressionists" and of Monet seeking to capture the changing light. She said she sees the garden in a new way - always aware of the quality of light. I remain fairly obtuse unless things are pointed out to me or the beauty is so obvious that no one can miss it.

6 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

This is a beautiful photograph. The light is amazing - your Japanese Maple is thriving! Ever since I started painting in watercolour, I've been far more aware of light patterns ... it is quite amazing how different the world can look when you see it with different eyes.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kate,
I just planted this Japanese maple last fall. I got the plant at an end of the year sale for a pittance. The leaves turned a golden orange in the fall which was just stunning so I'm hoping for a repeat performance this year.

It seems lighting is everything. Taking photos has opened my eyes to the importance of direction and quality of light. I still don't see it as second nature especially when I'm rushed but looking at others' photos has helped a lot.

I can imagine that being a watercolorist would make you very aware of pools of light more so than with oils. With the transparent paints, you are painting with light?

7:34 AM  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Ki,

I meant to tell you what a great picture this is. That type of moment is what gardening is all about.

Chris

4:55 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Chris. Thanks. I take it as a great compliment coming from you.

Indeed, sitting on the deck in the early morning, listening to the birds and watching how the changing light affects the scene is priceless.

6:38 PM  
Blogger DeeMom said...

wow, now for me to see ours this time next year...what a rush

4:45 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi deemom,
Japanese maples are graceful and beautiful 3 season trees. The fall colors are just spectacular so you won't even have to wait 'til next year! This was an unknown green dissectum. I should search Vertrees to see which ones turn yellow-orange in fall. We have another green dissectum that is known to be the only non-weeping one - Seiryu. It is a beautiful tree with bright red fall color. Probably our favorite among favorites.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory