Sunday, August 12, 2007

A gift in late summer



The Sweetbay Magnolias, M. virginiana bloomed in spring and I lamented the end of this years fragrant flowers. As I was walking around our yard today, I was accosted by a sweet familiar scent and was surprised to see yet another flower on the Sweetbay. This one totally took me by surprise as I thought I inspected the trees for any other buds and saw none. The trees stopped blooming about 2 months ago so this is an anomaly but a very nice one indeed. This flower seemed to be especially full and beautiful. Possibly because it had access to all the nutrients it needed as there are no other flowers the tree needs to provide food for.

I love these wonderful surprises. Makes gardening even more worthwhile than it already is.

4 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

My 'Little Gem' magnolia has two buds on it right now, also unexpected since it's nearly 100ยบ this week. The tree is young so I'm not sure what's normal.

Your flowers are a nice surprise, but then it's such a strange year, isn't it, Ki!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

9:20 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Wow, an apropos name for 'Little Gem' if it reblooms Annie. Our Edith Bogue doesn't have any more buds even if they are related, both being M. grandiflora. You can keep the 100 degree temps. Even the 90's with all the humidity was unbearable.

Since we're on the subject of Magnolias, I was fooled by the plant ID tag when it read Rustica Rubra Magnolia. After planting the tree which replaced an ailing Golden Raintree, I removed the tag and was surprised to see that it was a Magnolia soulangiana, a tree I dissed on your blog comments. Oh well it was on sale and we needed a tree in that spot so it looks like I'll be raking up hundreds of flower petals in the spring. ~;( Karma?

I already see some trees turning. It was next to the freeway and I believe they were maples. The Sassafras trees growing in the neighborhood also have 1-5 red and yellow leaves. It is indeed a very strange year.

5:36 AM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

So beautiful! They don't even look real.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Oldroses,
The flower was exceptionally well formed. I think the late afternoon light also helped create a nice image.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory