Saturday, September 01, 2007

Failed: movie of cicada killer but a distorted triumph the second time around

Well after waiting more than an hour for the movie to upload, it started from the beginning again so I stopped loading it.

I resized the movie to a much smaller format but couldn't change (actually didn't know if I could reduce the res) the resolution and I'll try to upload it again. Resizing the movie has made it into a 24M file which is still quite large but better than the 76M file. I'll keep my fingers crossed.


Hey it worked! Distorted but it actually works.

You have to press the arrow button to start the video.

The distortion was caused when I resized the video to what I thought was Blogger's format which was 280 pixels by 360. I was wrong, it's actually 280 x 320. It still took about 40 minutes to upload and process the video. About 30 minutes for the upload and 10+ minutes for the processing.

After I converted the MOV files to MPEG I found out that Blogger does accept MOV files which is a Quicktime file. So I didn't need to convert the file after all. Blogger currently supports AVI, MPEG, QuickTime, Real, Window Media and imposes a 100MB max file.

So now all I have to do is shoot movies at a reduced resolution which is 10 fps at 320 x 240 pixels for my particular camera instead of the 30 fps at 640 x 480 I was using.

BTW, Blogger does not count the movie uploads against your 1 gig photo upload account so you can upload as many movies without having to worry that it's eating into the number of photos you can publish.

Gee, what I go through to produce a 1:05 minute movie!

6 Comments:

Blogger DeeMom said...

Ki how neat. I shall try this soon.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Deemom,
I'm sorry the quality isn't very good but I had to learn all the particulars for uploading a movie. Using the lowest resolution, my camera takes a 240 x 320 and Blogger apparently resizes it to 280 x 320 so the aspect ratio may still come out wrong. I hope not and maybe it will only have those black bars at the top and bottom and not distort the picture. Now all I have to do is find something interesting to take a movie of.

I'll look forward to seeing your movie. Good luck in the upload. Remember, it takes a while for the movie to upload unless you have a really fast fiber optic or cable connection so I would use the lowest resolution setting that your camera has.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Thanks for blazing the trail, Ki! I have no idea if my camera can make a movie like this, but now I know to look here for information on uploading. The movie itself is pretty cool.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

5:49 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Annie,
I noticed the movie (filmstrip) icon next to the photo upload on Blogger several days ago and this Cicada Killer movie just begged to be shown so I had to try it.

I'm sure your camera has a movie taking mode. Even my old 3 mega pixel Nikon coolpix 3100 had a movie function.

The best part is it doesn't count against your 1 Gig photo account so you can upload as many movies as you want.

Even though I thought the Cicada Killer dragging the Cicada around fascinating, 1:05 minutes was too long. I think a 15 second movie would be optimal. Next time I'll try to edit it so as not to bore people. ;) I may try to delete and upload another version of the movie with a correct aspect ratio.

6:41 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

Heh...the killer acts like it doesn't know where to go with its' prey...maybe he wanted privacy from kitty. Fun video!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hey Lisa,
I don't know if the Cicada Killer already had a hole dug or if it immobilizes a cicada first and then digs a hole to place the cicada in before laying its eggs on the still live but paralyzed victim. So, I don't know if it was trying to find its hole or trying to locate a suitable place for one. It did seem to be disoriented though. I'm surprised that Max the cat wasn't trying to swat the wasp.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory