Friday, November 09, 2007

Greenup: when plants turn green in spring and why despite global warming, plants below 35 degrees latitude remain dormant longer.

From the Wired online magazine site.

Plants have begun to set forth flowers and buds earlier because of the warming climate. But in some areas of North America plants actually green up later than usual. This article explains why.
Here's my quick take on the article if you don't want to read it in it's entirety.
35 degrees latitude cuts through North Carolina. Plants north of the line receive enough chilling days (actually chilling units) to come out of dormancy quickly and are ready for an early warm up. Plants south of the line don't receive enough chilling hours so remain dormant even if the temperatures are warm enough to set forth flower and vegetative buds safely.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if that article is the same or similar to the one I read about earlier and larger flowers are showing up north and in the south seeds are taking longer to break dormancy.

I'll see if I can find it and if I do I'll post.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi MrBrownThumb,
I haven't read the article you mentioned so will be very interested to see it if you can find it. Sounds like the same process though. I'm quite amazed that some of the trees in our yard don't seem to want to go into dormancy despite several days of freezing temperatures. What's up with that?

6:12 PM  
Blogger MrBrownThumb said...

Well I can't find the article now that I went looking for it but maybe it was sort of the same story just with a bit of a sping.

We haven't had any frost here but I know what yo mean. The pear tree next door is blooming and has been blooming since the beginning of October.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Mr.BrownThumb,
The pear tree blooming now is very strange. I wonder if plum trees will bloom again this year in December like they did the previous year?

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory