Saturday, April 19, 2008

More of Spring's Abundance


Tulipa Species 'dasystemon tarda'






Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis. Strangely the two flowered photo is of a rootstock that's at least 3 years in the ground yet such a paucity of blooms although the flowers are much larger than most. The first photo is a rhizome I planted a couple of falls ago and it bloomed for the first time last year with 3 flowers. It outdid itself this year with many more blooms.





Another photo of the Yoshino cherry.





Peach blossoms. The flowers on this tree are very beautiful and I would plant this tree for the blossoms only. But this tree also produces very good quality fruit. Unfortunately without insecticidal spraying the bugs sting it unmercifully . This year I intend to remove most of the fruit and will spray with neem oil to see if I can't get some unblemished good sized fruit.






Two more photos of the Japanese quince 'Toyo Nishiki'.





A common supermarket, garden center primrose. The primroses are spectacular this year. This yellow one has really wonderful fragrance to boot. A very lovely plant indeed.





This combination of Virginia bluebells and daffodils caught my eye. A serendipitous juxaposition.






Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost'.






Bloodroots all wrapped up. I thought this was a funny picture so I included it.





With 3 consecutive 80+ degree days some of our Rhododendrons have started to bloom prematurely. We have a local garden featuring Rhododendrons and Azaleas. They usually open their display on Mother's Day but the plants may be all bloomed out by then.





More bloodroots. Can you tell I like 'em? :) I'll have to remember they look especially nice when planted next to rocks.







Three photos of the delicate flowers of the Serviceberry, Amelanchier canadensis? aka shadbush, juneberry, shadblow. Shadblow because the flowers appear when the shad (fish) are running up river.





This strangely colored tulip is among those blooming now.

7 Comments:

Blogger DeeMom said...

WOW

they are ALL stunning pictures

5:49 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

The last few posts are almost too much, Ki - so many beautiful, delicate flowers, beautifully presented. The quince is such a great color! I grew brunnera for ages but that was before 'Jack Frost' appeared...think I prefer the species.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

8:40 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Nancy,
Thanks. The tulip was sort of unusual having graduated color from deep orange to pink at the tips. I have another batch of photos to upload so come by again.

-------------------------------------
Hi Deemom, Thanks. We had three days of really warm temps and it seemed everything bloomed at once so I'm trying to sort through the pictures now.

----------------------------------

Hi Annie,
I have the species Brunnera. I thought it died last fall the first year I planted it. But it came up again this year and I'm waiting for it to fill out a bit before I photograph it. The plant is so small I can't compare it with the 'Jack Frost' yet to see if I like it better. Thought about buying 'Looking Glass' but never got around to buying one. The flowers are appearing in quick succession with the unusually warm weather and mild winter. My photos are lagging by more than a few days. The transformation of the serviceberries from full flowered form to almost no flowers overnight was quite startling. I will include yet another photo of the quince in the next batch of photos showing the variations in colors of the flowers. The buds look uniform but the flowers range from white to pink to red. Thanks for your comment.

6:41 PM  
Blogger joey said...

A stunning array of abundance, Ki. Found my bloodroot(that I adore though not as lovely as yours) and trillium blooming. I was gone for 2days, stunned to see the activity in garden & yard with the warm weather. Shadblow and Yoshino should pop this week and my bulbs are exploding. Yea!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks Joey. The serviceberry and Yoshino were outstanding this year so I think your's will be just as wonderful. The only thing is the warm weather finished off the service berry very quickly but the Yoshino is gamely haning on and now the Kwanzan cherries are starting. It's quite amazing that your trilliums started later but although I see some leaves on ours, no sign flowers yet. I'll swing by your blog to see what's blooming.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The bloodroots are too cute, all wrapped up! You'd think it was cold there, looking at them... but it's been a warm spring here, so I'm assuming you're experiencing the same thing there?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Extremely warm Kim. I think we're about 15 degrees above normal. I get a kick out of the bloodroots. Such a comical plant with curled up leaf which unfurls when the flower starts to bloom. I don't know why those in the picture haven't unfurled their leaves. Maybe they're cold blooded :)

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory