Monday, August 04, 2008

Midsummer Flowers and Pale, Sad, Cricket


The crepe myrtle "Dynamite" continues to bloom well and the crimson red color seems to become more brilliant as it ages.




We made another trip to the new wholesale nursery and I discovered they had an extensive collection of geraniums. This one I couldn't resist. The name was too intriguing - "Little Monster".




The giant pagoda dogwood Cornus controversa variegata I bought from Heronswood grows strangely in a sprawling manner. I guess that's how it achieves it's layered look that I like but it looks as if it will be a spreader which we don't have room for. Mental note: get the pruners sharpened.





I understand the quick part of this Hydrangea paniculata "Quickfire" - it blooms about 2-3 weeks earlier than our regular H. paniculata but the fire part escapes me. The panicles were a bright red in the picture on the tag but our plant only becomes a dusky pink. Quite a disappointment. Another mislabeled plant?





Strange looking but highly colored daylily.









I believe I wrote about my appreciation of common zinnias in a past post. We planted some wildflower seeds and these zinnias were included. In the past I didn't like zinnias because most of the ones available were the orange pompom ones and that image stuck in my mind. I do like the single petaled ones more than the elaborate ones but I still don't like the orange ones. Even the past bloom flowers - actually way past bloom - are interesting as they reveal their structure.





A wild cucumber or melon flower. It doesn't seem to produce any fruit so I can't tell what it is but the flower is quite pretty.





Lots of the Hostas are blooming now. This is a giant leafed one with rounded leaves more than a foot in diameter.





I wouldn't normally post a picture of a Marigold but this one especially caught my eye. The fiery Rococco quality was hard to miss.





It is difficult to believe that this is a California poppy. Eschscholzia californica Mission Bells.





The first of the early blooming anemones, ANEMONE tomentosa robustissima is starting to flower. The hairy dark stems and green leaves make a nice contrast to the pink flowers.






I saw this cricket on the covering of the water barrel. The ones I usually see are black colored so this was an unusual find. The drooping eyes seem quite sad but as soon as its long antennae (at least 5 times it's body length) dectected the camera the eye shape seemed to change or it could be that a different tilt to the head made the eyes a more normal round shape.





The Magnolia Sieboldii is starting its second flush of flowers. There seems to be as many flower buds as in the spring. I only wish the flowers were upfacing so you could easily see the dark pink inner parts of the flower.





Rose "Honey Perfume".






One of the new hybrid Delphiniums.

11 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

You say you are disappointed with your hydrangea, Quickfire. It's a pale pink.

I say "Ah, the wonders of PhotoShop!" I bet you can make those pale pink flower bright red in PhotoShop! It doesn't do much for your landscape though. Maybe you could staple the pictures onto the plant where the flowers are. :-)

I know what you mean.

9:44 AM  
Blogger joey said...

I see you have been busy, Ki ... love the parade of stunning flowers and cute cricket. Happy waning summer ...

4:55 PM  
Blogger Les said...

Great shots. Dynamite has become one of my favorite Crapes. The color borders on unreal. For several years now I have planted the Profusion series of Zinnias and have been thoroughly pleased with them. They have bloomed all summer and continue to push out flowers without a whole lot of deadheading or fertilizer.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Julie,
I know you can do wonderful things with PhotoShop but the learning curve is too steep. Even Elements was a challenge for me. I now use Irfanview. Simple to use but adjusting color or levels too much will make the background seem otherworldly. :D

------------------------------------
Hey Joey,
Thanks. I guess summer is on the wane, though you sure doesn't seem so by the weather. Thanks for stopping by.

----------------------------------
Hi Arlene,
Thank you. Hope your poetry writing is going well.

----------------------------------

Hi Les,
I just saw another crepe myrtle "Carolina Beauty", in a catalog, that seemed to be a more intense red than "Dynamite" (they had a picture of both for comparison. Apparently it doesn't have the flecks of white like Dynamite but as Julie mentioned above it may have been manipulated by PhotoShop to look redder.

I am ignorant of the Profusion Zinnias so I should look it up. I am certainly enjoying the ones we have. Thanks for your comment.

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you have some lovely blooms in your garden even in late summer.

Jan
Always Growing

2:47 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks Jan. It is late summer isn't it. Since it's been so hot lately, I thought it was still midsummer. A couple of years ago it was warm well into Dec. and the plum trees started to bloom again thinking it was spring. Thanks for stopping by.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Hi Ki,

When the robustissima began to bloom in Illinois it signaled a change was coming - I'd then look for buds forming on other late summer plants like Sweet Autumn clematis....I think the Ceratostigma joined in around the same time, too - but after 9 years in another climate that memory is slippery.

Lovely photos as always.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

7:29 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

If that wild cucumber does bear fruit, don't be tempted.

It's not edible, and can cause harm if you do manage to consume some.

Love your photos.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

We have a few Dynamite Crepes at a house that I tend to in lower Westchester County, NY. They aren't reliably hard in CT. I must say it is probably one of the nicest flowering plants I have seen. Really amazing to me.

I planted three CMs this year anyway. A 'Natchez', 'Zuni' and a 'Comanche'. I always try and pick a warm micro climate when going out of the plants zone. Hopefully we won't have too bad a winter.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Annie,
Thanks. Sorry for the late reply. It's interesting you linked the flowering of the anemone with other plants soon to follow. I'm not observant enough to do the same ... or I'm too busy either digging up plants I didn't like or planting new things - the garden is still ever changing.

9 years and slipping? How about 1 day or a few hours? My mind is a sieve.

----------------------------------
Hi Jenn,
Thanks for the warning. I am adventurous to try it if it produced fruit but luckily it didn't. The vine actually looked more like bitter melon though how it grew there is a mystery.

-----------------------------------

Hi Chris,
Thankfully crape myrtles are reliably hardy here. Our neighbor has a dark pink plant that's about 20 feet tall and 10 feet in diameter.

We planted a pink variety in a northwest exposure so it was blasted by the winter winds. It didn't do well for the first 3 years but shot up after a mild winter and has much better resistance to the cold now that it's bigger.

The Dynamite is planted in a more sheltered place and has thrived. The plant was only about 2 1/2 feet when we bought it but was already covered with flowers. In two years it is already 8 feet tall. I'd love to try more varieties but unfortunately we've run out of space for large shrubs.

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great to find this blog, really ehjoyed your flowers, but was wondering if you could take some full length picture of the new Delphinium, its a bit hard to know its full beatuy from one single floret

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory