Monday, June 27, 2005

Blogger's add photo tool


Well the photo I added with the Blogger tool didn't show up so I'll try again. The picture is of the unripe serviceberries. The birds don't seem to eat very many of the berries. I think our resident mocking bird who zealously guards the trees and the wild mulberry trees have something to do with the lack of predation.

On almost every bunch of berries there is usually one green one with yellow-orange protrusions. You can see it in the middle of the photo. The protrusions turn out to be spores of some kind of fugus and will readily drop off in a powdery puff like pollen. I sprayed the trees at blossom time and have noticed a lower infection rate but still more than I would like, although it appears to be harmless but for the few infected ones.

As with the "Hello"/"Picasa" photo tool, clicking on the picture brings up a larger higher res photo.

Update:
I found out that the fungus spores are actually cedar rust. I'll live with it. Otherwise I would have to take out all the cedars and junipers that host the rust and I'm not willing to do that. Besides the undeveloped 5 acres behind our home has numerous cedars and junipers on the property.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I just ran across your site and enjoyed reading through everything.

I'm trying to get a blog going on my site too. But I dont think i have the patience to do it!

--Amy
My daylilies Site

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha, I'm just a retiree from Hawaii surfing around the net and looking for
interesting blogs. Came across your blog and thought I 'd say hello.
Keep up the good work. Mahala.

Regards,
Ponti


gardening magazine

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory