Friday, December 01, 2006

Pieris japonica aka Lily of the valley shrub



Now that the gardening season is almost over, I'm looking at plants more closely. The Pieris japonica is forming its buds now and I thought the buds looked interesting in its own subtle way. The coloring is not bright but deep reddish purple/pink which contrast nicely with the green leaves.

We inherited a large plant which was overgrown and diseased. The leaves seem to have some kind of scale insect chewing on it and the dis-coloration was awful to look at. I pruned back most of the heavily damaged parts as well as thinning, shaping and fertilizing the plant. It has responded to the treatment quite well producing an adundance of flowers. The pink buds are of this plant. We've since bought a few more plants scattering them to fill the part sun empty spaces.

I believe it's also called false Andromeda.

2 Comments:

Blogger Harvest said...

Hi, That Lily of the valley shrub is lovely, and your pics really show off the buds . . . I will have to look for one next time I go to the nursery. I have a spot I think it will be happy in, and I am always on the look out for things that look great this time of year . . . My you were up early (or maybe late) this morning . . .

1:11 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Harvest,
That's a great name for a garden blog.
The pieris is a great shrub and very showy too when it's in bloom. I'm a morning person so I'm up very early. Can't seem to stay up past 11 anymore.

Thanks for writing.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory