Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Funny looking seeds of Anemone tomentosa 'Rosbustissima'?





After blooming profusely in early autumn the Anemones have produced an unusual looking seed head. The seeds are tiny and dark about the size of poppy seeds on top of a cottony wool. It would seem that the seeds should be closer to the stem as in other plants but somehow the seeds are coating the top of the cotton balls. I had never seen this before so when the first ones started to form I thought some cotton got caught on a branch.

The other Anemone planted nearby 'Honorine Jobert' is also producing a seedhead but so far just a tightly formed nub and nothing like the tomentosa. Perhaps this is because Honorine Jobert is a hybrid and infertile.

I'll collect the seeds and plant them to see if they are viable.

2 Comments:

Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

I don't remember seeing that first seed head before. Definitely looks like cotton. I have never tried growing Anemones from seed. Please let us know what happens.

Chris

5:31 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Chris,I bought some anemone seeds from Swallowtail Garden Seeds - Anemone sylvestris and tomentosa 'Rose Beauty'. I haven't planted these yet as I don't know if they have to be stratified. The instructions say to just plant them and keep at a constant 60-65 degrees for 4-5 weeks. I'll prob. start them when I have more time along with our own seeds. Let you know if I'm successful. Thanks for stopping by.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory