Monday, April 02, 2007

Scilla tubergeniana (S. mischtschenkoana), Siberian Squill? or...


Here's a purple or pink form of the previously posted Scilla. S. tubergeniana or it could be a Chionodoxa luciliae Pink Giant? Now that I've looked at pictures more closely I think it's a Chionodoxa because of the way the buds form a loose cluster rather than a tight bunch. But it also looks like a Scilla bifolia rosea too. Oh well, a beauty anyway. That's always our problem. We buy these bulbs in fall and don't mark where we plant them or remember their names so we have no idea what they are when they bloom in spring.




Definitely not as eye catching as S. siberica but pretty and delicate in it's own right.



The bulbs are fairly cheap so I wonder why they aren't as ubiquitous as the daffodil? Also isn't it strange that there are so many names for daffodils such as, jonquils, lent flower and narcissus?

I also finally decided to reduce the file size of the photos having already reduced the physical dimensions the photos to about 800 x 600 pixels. So now even if you don't have broadband the photos should load fairly quickly. Took me awhile but I was reading about placing photos on websites and it finally dawned on me that even with reduced quality it still looks ok on the monitor. For some reason I thought that I would have to upload the maximum file size for the photo to look good. My lack of knowledge of such stuff is vast. The bonus is that it's very fast uploading photos to blogger now.

6 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

I have always wondered the same thing ... I am partial to these small spring bulbs. They are so pretty and yet they aren't grown as widely as daffodils or tulips. The advantage to them is their foliage is quickly covered by other plants!

These are beautiful pictures ... the raindrops on the flower petals make the pics!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kate, on the other hand they can get easily lost or covered by larger more vigorous plants never to be seen again ("The advantage to them is their foliage is quickly covered by other plants!.")

The showers we had and droplets on the petals certainly enhanced the flowers and made the ground darker, intensifying the color and brightness of the blooms. I was lucky to photograph them when they were still wet. Thanks for the nice comment.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Whatever you did to the dimensions is not hurting the photos one bit, Ki. They're great. I'm almost afraid to come to your site... these last few posts were such beloved little flowers in Illinois.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

10:34 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

I can commiserate with your loss Annie. We've moved so many times leaving behind unique plants we weren't able to grow again. Luckily for me I don't tend to look back very much. There are new and interesting plants to peruse in the new location so I'm easily off on another quest for plants. Sad to think of what the gardens we created have become tho. We went back to a home where we lived to see how the plants had grown but the yard was devastated. Everything we planted was either cut down, dug up or just died on its own. After that debacle we vowed not to go back to homes we've been in.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

That happened at the first 2 Illinois houses, Ki, but the last one, where we made a large, rail-fence enclosed front garden, looked remarkably intact according to my friends who live in the area. So I think someone is enjoying a sea of blue, while I'm delighting in the southern stuff!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

9:43 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Annie, I can just imagine what a drift of blue would look like. That would be spectacular! I looked through an old (fall 2005) Van Engelen catalog and they list 100 bulbs of the S.siberica Spring Beauty for $15.25 or 5,000 for $692.50. Now 5000 of these in bloom would be outstanding but a sore back for sure at planting time! Tempting but I'll probably temper my zeal, order and plant only 100 next fall.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory