Thursday, May 10, 2007

Black Google uses less energy, "saves 750 megawatt-hours a year" and my 300th post!

Apparently since most of the world's computer display screens are CRTs (Cathode Ray Tubes) using black as the background color of webpages, Google search page, blogs etc. will save about "750 megawatt-hours a year" according to www.treehugger.com.

I immediately thought aha! but I have a LCD monitor which uses a lot less power than the old TV tube cathode ray displays so why bother? I thought about it for a second and a duh? moment slowly bubbled up from the abyss of my brain...others still use CRTs stupe!

I will forthwith change this blog color to black. Well not so forthwith but when I have the time to make the changes which will be many. An added advantage is that it makes the photos look better imo. My other blog already has a black background and I like the way the photos are enhanced. I don't like that words are a bit more difficult to read but I'll do some experimentation to see if I can't remedy that problem.

If you don't want to go completely black here are some alternate colors which still save some energy when displayed.

P.S. Well it was easier than I expected. Some of the copy color needed to be changed and I still need to tweak some elements but it will do for now and I'm GREEN!

P.P.S. And I just realized I reached a new milestone, blog # 300. I didn't even plan it this way but a fitting subject to mark the occasion.

P.P.P.S. I changed the black to slightly less black which still highlights the photos but seems to tone down the more glaring elements in the blog. Finding a html lighter black or very dark gray was a difficult job. I looked at various html color charts and tried all sorts of codes but only came upon the color I wanted by using this website http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html , choosing and clicking on the little black square on the bottom blocks of color, then choosing the option 'lighten scheme' in the left dialog box. I ended up with 1A1A1A for the black background.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

Love the treehuggers! Green it is!
I agree that the black or darker backgrounds make for nicer looking photos. It is so much work transfering all the sidebar stuff. someday I'll get caught up. Congrats on you 300th! Look forward to the next 300.

I think I'll try maroon..........?

7:26 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Lynne, Maroon's good. Let me know how maroon works. Never mind, I can keep going back to your blog and see for myself when you make the change. And thanks. Don't know what I'll blog for the next 300...I'm running out of plants!

4:11 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Not really crazy about the black but it's for a good cause so good for you.

Congratulations on your 300th post!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Anthony,
Thanks. I don't know how you manage to write stuff for your seven blogs! You must have passed the 300th a long time ago.

I have to admit I'm not too crazy about the black background the way I have it set up with all the ads and such. I'll have to keep tweaking it to see if I can unclutter it a bit. And really, with only a few people who read the blog, I don't think there's much of a savings if any. Oh, well it's good intentioned anyway.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Congratulations on #300. I must admit is was a bit of a shock to see the site in black. Looks good though, and you are saving the planet.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Like everything was reversed except for the pictures. Thanks for the congrats. I'm sure 300 is a trifle for a lot of bloggers.

I guess every bit helps when it comes to using resources. I can still remember hearing a story of the native american who remarked, "white man build big fire, stand far away, red man build small fire sit close" not an exact quote but pretty close. Says it all, unfortunately.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I never would have thought of this. Interesting!

Ki, I agree with you on the pictures... my photography skills are rudimentary at best, but the black background helps make the pics look better on the blog. :)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kim, I need all the help I can get when it comes to making pics look good. I'm trying mightly tho. ;)

7:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

see http://blacklys.com
Black Google
you can even customize the logo too

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory