Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Two tall yellow flowers, a Rudbeckia, and a Helenium(?)





The Rudbeckia maxima, the giant coneflower is blooming now. The plant has a rosette of silver green leaves that are probably not more than a foot tall but it sends up a flower spike over 6 feet tall. Some say it can attain a height of 8 feet!. The flower itself is not very large, not any bigger than Echinacea but the Goldfinches really love the dark brown almost black seedhead. They prefer it over the Echinacea seedhead which they also eat.






I thought this was a Rudbeckia but it doesn't form a cone so it may be a Helenium instead? The leaves sure look like cone flower leaves so it may still be some kind of Rudbeckia. I don't know where this plant came from but it appears that we bought it when it may have been fairly small in the pot. I has grown to about 5 feet tall and though in full sun the stalks have fallen somewhat making it a sprawling and untidy plant. I was threatening to dig it up but decided to keep it until past bloom but the flowers are very long lived - it's been blooming for at least 3 weeks with out showing any signs of fading. The color of the flower turns from bright yellow to a yellow orange as it ages.

Update.
Thanks to Annie in Austin, the Helenium? has been identified as Heliopsis scabra 'Summer Sun'. Here's an image from the Bluestone Perennials website.

8 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Ki, could it possibly be a Heliopsis? My friend Vi used to grow an old-fashioned one called Golden Glow.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

7:47 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Or a helianthus? My neighbours have one that looks like this. I love the bright yellow blooms at this time of year!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

I don't know what it is, but I want one. :) My flower beds could use a nice splash of yellow.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Entangled said...

The Rudbeckia maxima is really neat (another plant for my shopping list) and I like to keep the goldfinches happy. If I tried to photograph a flower 6 ft. tall, I'd need a stepladder. ;-)

4:53 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Annie, I should have known that you'd know what it was. I did a Google images search and I think this is Heliopsis scabra 'Summer Sun'
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com
/b/bp/HESSS.html



I'm trying to link the website photo here but it may not work.
Thanks for the ID.

----------------------------------
Hi Kate,
It could be a Helianthus argyrophyllus a true sunflower but I think it looks more like the 'false sunflower' Heliopsis. A great guess though much better than my Helenium. Thanks.

----------------------------------
Hey Anthony,
The link above is for Bluestone perennials and they have it for $12.95 or different varieties from Hallson Gardens next year.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.perennialnursery.com/Resources/Heliopsis_Asahi.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.perennialnursery.com/
plantinfo/heliopsis.html&h=144&w
=144&sz=20&hl=en&start=93&um=1
&tbnid=V8SW6A3igERPiM:&tbnh=94
&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3D
heliopsis%26start%3D80%26ndsp%3D
20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3D
en%26sa%3DN

Or seeds from Thompson & Morgan for $2.95. Probably the best and cheapest way to get the plant since most mailorder nurseries are not shipping anymore. It's for H. scabra Golden Double Hybrids not the 'Summer Sun'

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/
us/en/product/7225/1

5:17 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi entangled,
The R. maxima is a very nice specimen plant but needs full sun to do well. Ours are shaded somewhat and they tend to be weak and fall over so I didn't need a step ladder to take the pictures. ;) The gold finches love it but I noticed that they were eating seeds of the sunflower growing right next to the R. maxima. Maybe the seeds aren't ripe yet.

5:28 AM  
Blogger DeeMom said...

The cone looks like Indian corn in a way, Lovely sunny yellows!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi deemom,
Now that you pointed it out, it does look like a small cob of Indian corn or popcorn. As the goldfinches eat the seeds a cob like corn remains. Indeed, nice and cheery yellows for the summer.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory