Thursday, September 06, 2007

More photos from the Biltmore estate's extensive gardens

I'll add the names when I think of them or do some research or when time permits. Please feel free to identify the plants.

The flowers of this tree look similar to the Oxydendrum arboreum, commonly known as Sourwood, Sorrel Tree or Lily of the Valley Tree but I don't think it was the same tree. There were hundreds of insects flying around this tree.



Walk leading from the house to the conservatory. They had the novel idea of growing luffa gourd over the trellises beyond the archway.


White Joe Pye Weed, Eupatorium purpureum.



Castor bean plants within a large border of zinnias (probably to keep people away from the highly toxic beans) and dark purple Perilla? and some kind of Salvia.





This is probably some kind of sunflower, Helianthus but I don't know which one. It has attractive dark stems. For some reason I always thought these were the flowers of Jerusalem artichoke, Helianthus tuberosus but it's not. There are a lot growing in ditches in Central NJ and they bloom just about this time of the year.


Looks like white ginger, Hedychium coronarium but the H. coronarium doesn't have the dark orange centers. Could it be Hedychium Coccineum or H. flavescens?



Looks a bit like yarrow but this plant is about 6-7 feet tall.



Flowering chives?




Kim from A Study in Contrasts blog, thought this was either clematis integrifolia or c. scottii. I know zilch about Clematis so I won't even hazard a guess. I didn't even know they were Clematis. I've added two more photos of the Clematis to aid in identification. Definitely C. integrifolia I believe. See this link.



Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue' anise sage. Thanks Millertime.


Interestingly colored Calla lily.




The two photos above are of the same tree. This was a head turner. The flowers look a bit like bleeding heart. Definitely a must have shrub. If I remember correctly it had a wonderful scent too. The only trouble is I don't have room for another large shrub. Maybe I can replant the Hydrangea 'lime light' that I don't care for very much.
I looked it up, the tree is actually a large shrub, Clerodendrum trichotomum, Harlequin Glorybower or Peanut Butter Tree. Hardy to USDA Zone 7. Some sources say zone 6 - 9 others 7-10. Here's a link to another photo of the flowers though the flowers look a lot lighter.
Now I know why I commented that the flowers look like bleeding heart. My mother planted Clerodendrum thomsoniae(click this link), Bleeding Heart Vine and always called it a bleeding heart plant. It was definitely one of her favorites. The resemblance of the flowers made me think it was a bleeding heart though not to be confused with the more common Dicentra spectabilis.



Magnolia 'Little Gem'.



Something from the mint family.
Kim the Blackswamp girl thought this was some kind of Salvia. I looked it up and it may be a variant of the clary sage possibly Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica 'Alba'. See this link. Thanks Kim.



The rare Franklinia alatamaha. A very beautiful Camellia like flower which reveals that it belongs to the same family Theaceae. I love the second part of the name an Indian name for a river in Georgia. The tree is named after Benjamin Franklin. Now extinct in the wild since 1803. Here's a good site for some history about the tree.


Magnolia macrophylla, Bigleaf Magnolia. A supposedly rare tree but surprisingly I saw several specimens at the Biltmore Estate and growing wild by a stream at a botanical garden. A quote from Wikipedia: "This tree is found in rich mesic woods; any disturbance that lets more light reach the ground is beneficial to the establishment of Bigleaf magnolia, but despite its relatively fast growth-rate when stimulated by more light, other understory and canopy trees/seedlings are usually able to outgrow and out-compete it. This suits the plant just fine as it is tolerant of low light levels; it does not need full sun to survive once established (however, it does not like full shade). Natural regeneration is quite limited due to the scarcity of mature, seed-bearing plants and the fact that this tree's population mostly consists of widely scatterd (sic) individuals. In addition, this species is plagued by poor seed set (most likely from limiting factors mentioned above) and low seed viability, a trait shared by its cousin and frequent associate in the wild, Magnolia fraseri." Mesic meaning adapted to a moderately moist habitat.

13 Comments:

Blogger lisa said...

The salvia looks like 'Black and Blue', and I'm diggin' that clematis-whatever it is!

9:38 AM  
Blogger DeeMom said...

was that a LEMON Tree?

11:33 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Lisa,
Yep, I believe you are right! Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue'.

Which photo for the "clematis-whatever it is"?

-------------------------------------
Hi deemom,
It's actually the yellow seed pod of the Magnolia macrophylla, the Bigleaf Magnolia. This Magnolia is supposed to be rare but I saw many along streams in NC. We actually have one growing in our neighborhood which is amazing because it does not get a lot of water where it is growing.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great pictures! The clematis is the blue bell-shaped flowers underneath the (white) flowering garlic chives. (My garlic chives are in bloom right now, too--it's the only way I can tell them apart from the regular, truth be told.) If it was a bushy one instead of a vine, it may have been either clematis integrifolia or c. scottii? I don't know my bush clematises apart.

I would swear that your "something in the mint family" is actually a salvia of some sort. That flower shape kind of says "salvia" to me.

I hope you figure out or remember what that big shrub covered with white flowers is, because it's gorgeous. Was it fragrant?

6:28 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

All of these are great looking pictures, thanks for the virtual tour of Biltmore. I went there about 20 or so years ago and loved it. I need to go back!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Kim,
The Clematis was bushy. I'll post another photo that shows more of the plant. I have difficulty growing Clematis except for the C. ternifolia (paniculata) so I have almost zilch knowledge of them. I thought I took a photo of the name tag but I couldn't find it.

You are probably right about the salvia. I tend to lump everything with square stems into the mint family. I learned somewhere that almost everything with square stems is an aromatic herb. I guess salvias are herbs too as in S. officinalis.

Hey, I looked up the big shrub. It's Clerodendrum trichotomum. I'll add a link to another photo under the plant photo on the blog page.

Thanks for the clematis and salvia ID.

4:13 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Carol,
It was fun checking out the "southern" plants in their extensive gardens. I'm sure they have changed many of the plantings in 20 years. Many of the small trees and shrubs are not very big, certainly not 20 years worth of growth so I'm sure you'll see a lot of different and wonderful things if you go back. Be sure to stop at the Laughing Seed vegetarian restaurant if you go back. Also if you like BBQ, you have to search out the 12 Bones. Hard to find and open only a limited time 11-4 p.m. but great BBQ. Go early the lines can be out the door and very long.
Thanks for stopping by.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Entangled said...

I'm stumped on all except the ones already identified, but I'm wondering how they got the Clematis to bloom now. My C. integrifolia blooms in June/July and then stops. I used to have the white variety of clary sage, but I don't remember what the flowers looked like any more. It seeded itself around everywhere and then died out. I should have the pink one in bloom next year - started it from seed this year.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi entangled,
Oh no... I was counting on you to furnish some of the names.

I hope you post a picture of your clary sage when it blooms then maybe we can get a definite ID of the Salvia I photographed.

Maybe the Clematis is not an integrifolia? But it sure looked a lot like the photos I've seen of C. integrifolia. I don't know why it was blooming in so late August. Actually I was amazed that there were so many things blooming.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yup, I would say integrifolia, too... per the Dave's Garden page on c. integrifolia, it can bloom all summer. (Entangled, maybe deadheading helps with the longer bloom time?)

Thanks for the ID on the shrub. What a nice coincidence that it's the same kind of plant your Mom once had.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kim,
Of course I immediately tried to find the Celerodendrum online once I had identified it but haven't had any luck yet. My mother had the vine which didn't grow very big and the flowers were only scarcely scattered amongst the vines. They were sort of eye catching with white flowers with bright red bleeding part that stuck out but nothing like the shrub at all except for the flower shape. My mother is still alive but in an Alzheimer's semi-coma so unfortunately cannot enjoy all the flowers she once grew. It is a terrible disease.

6:36 PM  
Blogger homemaker said...

I believe the "MINT family" one is just that (and not a sage): see these definitions of the plant LAMIASTRUM GALEOBDOLON. The 2 varieties in my search had yellow flowers, but this could be special . . .
* Lamiastrum translates as "resembling Lamium", a similar-looking groundcover also in the Mint Family
* galeob translates as "to cover with a helmet," possibly referring to the upper flower petal, while dolon translates as "a fly's sting," with uncertain meaning
* this species is also known (or formerly known) by the scientific names of Lamium galeobdolon and Galeobdolon luteum

2:19 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hello, Homemaker. You may be right. I did look up Lamiastrum and Lamium but I didn't see a plant that looked like the one in the photo. Also the hood seems to be more spread out but the splotchy leaves do look like the photo. Where's a good taxonomist when we need one? Thank you for the information.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory