Sunday, September 16, 2007

Very late post for Garden Blogger's Bloom Day, September

I thought the 15th was today, Sunday but it was yesterday. I was busy all weekend so this is a very late post but better late than never. I'll add the names of the plants when I have more time.



Anemone 'Prince Henry or 'Prinz Heinrich'. New to our garden. Looks similar to A. 'Party Dress' but with a darker hue of pink. I like this one better than 'Party Dress' because it stands on thicker stems and doesn't fall over as easily. I also like the deeper color.



Anemone 'Max Vogel'. This is also a new introduction to our garden. This was a disappointment with small very light pink flowers. Maybe it will do better next year.



Anemone 'Andrea Atkinson'. Looks similar to the very popular A. 'Honorine Jobert' but the flower doesn't seem to be as large. The plant is not as vigorous either. This is blooming for the first time also so maybe it will do better next year.




Two photos above of A. 'Honorine Jobert' the first Anemone we planted in our garden which at one time I tried to eradicate but luckily was unsuccessful in doing so. We have come to love this vigorous and lovely windflower.



Japanese Anemone, hupehensis. This is the second anemone we planted and it has turned out to be a very lovely prolific bloomer.



Variegated Liriope. Technically not in bloom but the buds on the flower stalk still look quite lovely.



Seven Sons tree Heptacodium miconioides a rather rare and unusual small tree or large shrub with beautiful fragrant flowers. Here's a site that has more information about this unusual tree.



A yellow form of Crocosmia which along with a couple of the red flowered ones amazingly survived the winter in ground.



Angelonia angustifolia, this was a $1 sale plant and has turned out to be a great buy.



Singapore Plumeria/frangipani. This plant has been steadily blooming for most of the summer, wafting it's fragrance near our back entrance.




Two photos of Clematis paniculata or ternifolia. Some say it has a wonderful scent but ours has no perfume, just a musty pollen smell when you stick your nose right up to the flowers. Very pretty though, with mounds of flowers covering the plant.



Hydrangea paniculata 'Quick Fire' intermediate stage. Supposedly the panicles will turn a bright red but at this stage it's not any redder than our regular H. paniculata 'Grandiflora'



Anemone 'Party Dress'. This is also new to our garden. The stems tend to be thin so the flowers flop over. I'm hoping it will grow more vigorously next year and won't need staking. I hate plants that need staking.



Another group of A. huphensis Japanese Anemome growing amongst some Hakonechloa macra ‘All Gold’ grass which has turned more green than yellow in all the shade and a 'Katsura' Japanese maple. This was newly planted so it looks very nice close to the ground. I wish the propagators would create dwarf versions of anemones but I haven't come across any.



Another differently colored Angelonia.



Another photo of A. 'Prince Henry'




Two photos of my favorite Anemone. This is A. 'Whirlwind' coyly peeking out from the foilage.



Hydrangea paniculata 'Grandifolia'. The panicles are turning quickly to a nice dusky deep red.



The old standby impatiens and a aster doing the "job" between perennial flowerings.



And last but not least Lobelia erinus 'Crystal Palace' which I grew from seed this spring and transplanted them out into the garden about a month ago for some fall color.

18 Comments:

Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Great pics for Blooms Day. I see that you have quite a lot of Japanese Anemones. They are great little plants for this time of year, aren't they? I have them too. Your clematis looks great, it's covered in flowers.

BTW my blooms are up too.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Yolanda Elizabet,
Would you believe at one time we tried to get rid of the Anemones. We thought they were too tall for the spot we planted them and just too tall in general. Luckily in spite of my pulling and digging I must have left pieces of the rhizome in the soil and they came up the next year. Since they were so tenacious we just let them be and have turned our thinking 180 degrees and just can't seem to get enough of them now. I just bought some new varieties this spring so we're seeing some bloom for the first time. A very nice gift for the month of Sept.

The Clematis paniculata was almost too vigorous too. It started to grow over too many other plants so we had to find an isolated place for it. Luckily we have a swale so it can climb the steep bank to its hearts content and beautify a pretty ugly place too. Thanks for visiting. Great plants at your site.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

It was certainly worth the wait to see your flowers. Love the anemones and now wonder why I've never tried any in my garden. Now I'm off to check out that unusual tree in bloom.

Thanks for posting for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

5:36 AM  
Blogger DeeMom said...

Wow the yellow Crocosmia is awesome

Great shots

5:48 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Carol,
Thank you for thinking up Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day! It's great to see what's blooming now in other's gardens even if trying to remember the fifteenth and hectically trying to post the photos leaves me with a minor case of anxiety. ;) Thank you for stopping by. Be aware that the Seven Sons tree is quite a vigorous tree/shrub. It send out many branches that grow quite long. This year ours grew an amazing 10 feet straight up. In previous years it tended to spread but we discouraged that habit by pruning it back in mid growth which did not faze the plant one bit. So I guess it learned it's lessons and grew straight up instead.

----------------------------------
Hi Deemom,
The photo of the Crocosmia was taken a couple of days ago and I noticed that more of the buds have opened so I'll replace the photo with a more current one which hopefully will look nicer. Thanks for visiting.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love all of those anemones... and judging by my garden, you're right on with your assessment of 'Party Dress' being floppy. I wonder if they're good for cut flowers?

On a related note, I loved my pink anemones with the chartreuse-y color of golden oregano planted below it. I noticed that you have a similar effect with the golden hakone grass and that golden threadleaf conifer... mine was a happy accident, but I really like the way yours are sited like that, too.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kim,
I believe I read something recently that said anemones make good cut flowers but don't hold me to that. But...in fact I noticed when hand watering plants that the anemone petals detached rather easily when inadvertent droplets, not the full stream of water hit the petals. So they probably don't make very good cut flowers. Maybe the 'Party Dress' will develop stronger stems next year. At least I hope so.

I'm ashamed to say almost all of our plant groupings are rather haphazard and if anything turns out well then it was a lucky happenstance. I don't study color, shape and height as scrupulously as you do. It's all pretty much intuitive and a lot of mistakes are made which makes a lot of work for me when I have to dig them up to transplant somewhere else. ;~ But I do love the pink, green gold combination too.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you post the names or I wouldn't recognize most of these plants. The only one I have in my garden is the variegate liriope. Anemones, eh? 'Andrea Atkinson' itself looks a lot like that crazed rambling rose 'Mermaid'. I'm going to have to find out more about anemones.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Dirty Fingernails said...

I have decided that I need Quick Fire in my garden.. Thanks for the photo of it!!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi MSS,
The Anemones pictured are all Anemone hupehensis commonly called the Chinese or Japanese anemones. USDA Zone: 5 - 9. They do well in a fairly moist soil so if you can provide that and partial shade they will do well. Once they get established they are carefree plants and are pest free. But deer seem to like to browse on the flower stalks. :(
I bought the newer plants from Bluestone Perennials for a very good price but the plants were in 2-4" pots and very small.

-----------------------------------

Hi Dirty Fingernails,
Quick Fire will turn a bright red ... hopefully. You are welcome and thanks for stopping by. I'll post another photo of it in late autumn. It will be interesting to compare it with the H. grandiflora at that time.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Entangled said...

What a nice collection of anemones! My poor 'Honorine Jobert' is still sulking from the drought.

I've been reading a lot about the Heptacodium in various places lately, but I don't recall anybody writing about how fast it grows. That would seem to be an important piece of information.

4:13 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Entangled,
I've had to water our anemones for weeks now. They seem to be especially sensitive to lack of moisture and the flower stalks with buds will make a U bend near the top when they are dry which makes for a good indicator and time to haul out the water hose.

I'll take a picture of the seven sons, tree growth this year. I'll mark where the new growth started and use a yardstick to get some sense of scale. We got it at a plant sale 3 autumns ago. The nursery didn't know what it was since it was label-less but I liked the bare yellowish brown smooth bark which sort of reminds me of crape myrtle. Because of the smooth bark and color the nursery person thought it was some kind of yellow bark dogwood. The leaves also resemble a dogwood. It didn't grow at all that fall but next spring it put forth a tremendous amount of greenery all going sideways. We cut out half of the new growth early spring and did another pruning in early summer. All that pruning did not faze the tree one bit. Last year my wife hacked it back severely practically leaving stumps with very little greenery left but it came back even stronger this year and made the straight upright growth. "That'll teach you to mess with me". It is strange that other people don't mention the rampant growth. I wonder if all the pruning doesn't encourage growth?

5:55 AM  
Blogger Ruth Welter said...

Ki, you have a beautiful blog and some gorgeous flower/garden photos as well. Gardening is a passion of mine and I love looking at other peoples' beautiful gardens.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thank you very much for the kind words Ruth. I took a quick look at your interesting blog (love the look of the black Emu egg!)and will return when I have time for a better look. I love to look at other's gardens too...they have introduced me to many interesting plants I have not seen previously.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

When you first posted without the names I could tell they were anemones but that was all... now I see what an extensive collection of these beauties you have, Ki!

Too bad your autumn clematis is a dud, because the scent should be wonderful. I hope the plumeria is delivering the promised fragrance for you.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

7:45 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Annie,
It seems like I can't get enough of a good thing. The anemone collection started with two different kinds. I actually haven't counted how many we have now but I know there are at least two more that haven't bloomed yet, one because a deer clipped the ready to open flower stem! I'll do a repost of the anemones when all have bloomed and are photographed.

I guess the clematis is for eyes only. Unfortunate that it doesn't have a scent that most other gardeners rave about. But, yes the nicely scented plumeria certainly makes up for the clematis and is in a much better location right next to the rear entry, not banished to the hinterlands.

9:41 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

Wow, I'm liking your anemonies! I've never grown these, and now I'm not sure why! I really appreciate that last lobelia picture, since I have never heard of this one! Think I'll try it, you can never have too many fall-blooming plants, IMO!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Lisa,
Just remember that the Japanese anemones grow quite tall so they're a good back border plant. We saw these Lobelias in Seattle. "Crystal palace" is a popular small lobelia and is commonly sold as seed. I think it has the darkest blue color of any lobelia. The only thing is you can go blind trying to see the tiny, tiny seeds. Probably the smallest seed of any plant and much smaller than the period at the end of this sentence.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory