Monday, November 19, 2007

Anemones

As I'm writing this I can see very wet snowflakes falling past the window. It doesn't seem cold enough for it to snow.

I wanted to do several blogs about Anemones we grew this year but I was waiting for a month for one last Anemone to bloom but it's too cold now and it won't bloom this year. We bought several Anemones last spring to add to the ones we already had. All bloomed but this last one. So I will start my paean to the Anemone starting with the earliest blooming.




Snowdrop Windflower, Wood Anemone, Anemone Sylvestris. This is an early spring blooming anemone. It is native to the woods of Europe. It has a reputation of being a vigorous spreader so I'll have to be careful to contain it. I bought several and noticed that leaves sprouted from many distinct places around the plant leading me to believe they have already formed a cluster of new plants around each parent. The plant is quite small and the flower stalk was only about 8" high. I had only two or three flowers this year from the six plants.

7 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

Sweet little flower! Anything that blooms this late in the year is worth having, IMHO.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Connie,
Actually this photo was taken in early spring. I'm going back through my photos so I can hopefully include every anemone that bloomed this year starting with the earliest blooming one which happens to be the A. sylvestris. It is a pretty, dainty little thing. I just hope it doesn't spread and become a pest! ;) Thanks for stopping by.

7:14 PM  
Blogger kate said...

I love this flower - I've planted it in places where it can spread. When the plant likes its environment, it can spread incredibly far within one season. Even though I gave it quite a range of space, it tries to bolt even further afield. Those underground runners are difficult to detect.

The flowers are so beautiful though and have the delightful habit of their faces following the direction of the sun.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

I love anemones... I think part of it is that I love saying the name, LOL.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

What a delightful and delicate little anemone Ki. I love anemones a lot and have many in my garden. You can never have too many of them!

11:56 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

Very cute! I love how fuzzy it looks...how hardy is this? I love to try anything called "aggressive", because at my place they usually behave.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kate,
Oh, oh, I hope it's not like the high ly invasive and hard to eradicate Bishop's weed, Aegopodium podagraria. Interesting that the flowers are heliotropic. I'll have to look for that when the flowers bloom next spring.

------------------------------------
Hello Rurality,
And they have the same name as the marine animals. ;) In fact when I hear the word anemone I always think of the sea creatures first possibly because that was the first anemone I knew.

-----------------------------------

Hi Yolanda Elizabet,
I definitely agree! At one time though we dug up two great big plants in front of our bay windows only to regret having done so. It's a good thing the anemones are difficult to eradicate and the rhizomes I missed sprouted several new plants. They've earned their spot in the garden and have actually rewarded the dastardly act by producing a huge amount of flowers this year as if I had done the plants a favor. How can you (not you specifically) not love a plant with tenacity and beauty?

----------------------------------

Yeah, I love the tiny hairs on the petals Lisa. I was lucky to have such a dark background when taking the photo.

Maybe I'm not tough enough with my plants. They seem to do as they please but I'm usually grateful for any growth in our lousy clay soil.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory