Sunday, December 09, 2007

More late photos of fall colors


Blueberry fall foliage.




Usually the leaves of the oaks around the neighborhood just turn tan and brown but this year was an exception. All the oaks showed great color...for oaks that is. Funny but the past two years all the oaks produced a tremendous amount of acorns but I haven't seen a single acorn on our tree this year. Last year I picked up 2 three gallon kitty litter buckets full.




This garish red maple tree was photographed in our local park. The developer who built new houses a block away from where we live, planted maples that had a more vivid red than this tree if that's possible. The trees looked artificial because it was such a uniform neon red. It's like a bad dream, a maple from hell. In my opinion the breeders are getting out of hand trying to produce the most colorful trees. What happened to restraint or naturalness?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam @ Digging says:

Oh, I don't know, Ki. Maybe I'm just starved for great fall color, but that maple looks pretty to me.

FYI, it was a HUGE acorn and pecan year here in Austin.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Pam,
I see you were able to leave a link despite Bloggers' exclusionary change. How did you manage to post your link? Did you use HTML tags?

I'll trade ya some of the color for the still green and blooming gardens you have! The tree in the photo is still in the realm of reality. The new ones planted in the neighborhood are just so impossibly bright red it looks fake. It is a conundrum...have the most colorful, brightest, best and most interesting form that the propagators produce or go with the natives, the naturally selected ones?

Thanks for the comment and its great you were able find a workaround.

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam @ Digging says:

I'm using HTML tags in the body of my comments.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Good god, I've never seen a more garish color on a maple ! I mean I love the reds of the maples but that it blinding.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Carolyn Gail,
The tree in the photo looks almost normal compared to the ones newly planted in a new subdivision. I should have taken a photo of the newly planted trees in our neighborhood to show the comparison. The red was almost neon. It will have to wait 'til next year but I'll have to remember to take photos of those really garish trees. Thanks for your comment.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Great fall photos. The maple is definitely attention getting!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Connie,
The photo is straight out of the camera but if I remember correctly it was slightly darker in reality. It is a rather hard to miss, smack you in the eye color :) Thank you for your comment.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

I don't know, I like it. There are three things I like about gardening:

color, color and color ;)

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory