Friday, February 29, 2008

Another orchid. A Dendrobium.




I've always have had difficulty photographing this Dendrobium orchid. It is tall and gangly and the color which should be a dark red purple as in the foreground flowers, is never captured right by the camera. I guess the backlighting doesn't help as it bring out the mottling in the petals. I tried to get the same effect as the white Phalaenopsis orchid but I had to place the Dendrobium in the bathtub to have it bathe in sunlight :) Well no matter, there it is.

We bought this orchid about 4 years ago and it has bloomed reliably every year though it didn't have many flowers this year.

4 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla George said...

I think it looks beautiful being backlit. I know the troubles of not being able to photograph the color right now matter what.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Vanilla Lotus,
I used two different cameras and they both get the color wrong. It's also difficult to capture the velvety texture of the petals. I'll have to do some experimenting with the flower front lit to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for stopping by.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

So beautiful!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks Connie. The dendrobiums are nice but they grow rather tall so we only have space for one. So I have only these photos of this species of orchids.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory