Friday, August 08, 2008

Another interesting fungus, Tapioca Slime Brefeldia maxima? and Wild Petunia, Ruellia nudiflora





I looked through my Audubon Society mushroom book but was unsure about the identification of this fungus. My best guess is the Tapioca Slime, Brefeldia maxima but the color shown in the book was white rather than the yellow in my photos.

It looked like yellow cake batter when I first saw it. Upon closer inspection the mass was actually made up of tiny balls which looks like tapioca.

I spotted this fungus on the same small decaying tree stump as the chocolate tube slime I saw in July. I find it interesting another fungus can occupy the same spot so soon. I thought the mycelia of the previous chocolate tube slime would still be present and ward off the newcomer - the decaying process continues.






UPDATE: What a difference a day makes. This is what the tapioca slime looks like a day later. It appears the round tapioca like balls structures were supported on stalks which has a passing resemblance to the Chocolate Tube slime below.





The previous occupant, Stemonitis splendens; Chocolate Tube Slime





This is Ruellia nudiflora, a native wildflower - the Common wild petunia also known as the Violet wild petunia, Violet ruellia, or Wild petunia. It is in the Acanthaceae Family. It is not related to the commonly grown petunias which belongs to the potato family, Solanaceae.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Laurence said...

Weird fungus! We have chicken in the woods growing by our old oaks. It's odd but it's edible. Your marigold photo below is lovely.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Eric Bronson said...

Wild! I love pictures of fungi, this is most unusual. Thanks for sharing!!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Entangled said...

Ki, the fungus looks a lot like the Dog Vomit fungus (lovely name), but I've never noticed that much granularity in the DVF. The first time we had DVF in our wood chip mulch, my spouse thought it was dog vomit. The slime molds are interesting organisms, once you get past their appearance.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Sarah,
I actually ate some "chicken of the woods" (Laetiporus sulphureus) mushroom. A friend of ours found some near her home and gave us a piece that was at least a foot long. Although it is considered to be a choice tasting mushroom I didn't like it very much. It probably was too mature for eating. Let me know what you think of the taste if you ever have a chance to try some. Thanks for stopping by.

----------------------------------

Hi I Like Plants!,
I too like fungi, I think some of the mushrooms are incredibly beautiful and others...well, let's just say, interesting. ;D Thanks for your comment.

---------------------------------
What a descriptive name Entangled! Actually the slime mold I photographed does resemble cat or dog vomit, the little round structures look like the bubbles in the foamy vomit. Our dog routinely eats grass and vomits so I have unfortunately seen my share of vomitus. Same with the cat and fur balls. ;(

6:14 PM  
Blogger kate smudges said...

I love the colour of the Ruellia - is it ever pretty!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kate,

The color is is very nice. The photo is fairly accurate but slightly less pink.

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory