Monday, May 22, 2006

Li'l Bandit




I finally caught the bandit who's been eating the catfood left outdoors for the outside cat. This was a fairly small possum that seemed drunk and unsteady on it's feet. By the look and size of it, it must be a juvenile. I was a little leery of going outside to take the photos because of its wobbily manner and lack of fear. I thought it may be rabid. It started to flee after I opened the door a little and photographed it. It fell off the entry stoop, sumersaulted down two steps and scrambled off into the bushes.

Later I realized that the flash had blinded it and that's why it displayed the disoriented behavior. It wasn't rabies. Being a mostly nocturnal animal its eyes must be much more sensitve than ours to light and popping a flash right in front of it must have been blinding! It seemed to recover fairly quickly as it scooted off around the house post haste.

The dumb look is sort of cute but I can't get past the prehensile rat-like tail. You can see it's fur standing up from fear.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just reading about someone who found a oppossum in the pan drawer under their over. When they tried to capture it, the critter disappeared in the wall space behind the cabinets. Not my idea of a good thing, but the blogger seemed fine with it.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

O'my gosh! The possuim reminds mw of the time one came through our doggie door (for the cats) and was eating the cat food in the utility room. That rat-like tail sticking out of the 20lb bag of food freaked me out!
My husband scooted the thing right out the catdoor again with the trash can in stead of opening the door! YUCKY.
We have the raccoons eating the catfood now. I used to have this nice little ledge to set the food on and the racoons climb up the brick wall and sit there enjoying the free food. It scares me when they don't react to your tapping on the window to scare them off.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks for your comments pablo & lynne. At least this one didn't come into the house! We had baby rats once. One was eating something in the pantry with louvered doors. It's rat tail was sticking out of the space between the louvers, ugh.

We also had squirrels who made a nest in the attic in a house we were renting. They would dig up the ceiling material for a nest so all night we'd hear this scratch, scratch sound. They finally broke through the ceiling and that was the last straw. Since the owners wouldn't do anything about it I screened off the broken attic vent with hardware cloth.

Seems like everyone has a good critter story!

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ex was stupid enough to catch one one day & the dumb ass put it in the car with him & told his friend to drive...

The moron was covered in blood before they could bull back over & get the door open...

I found it hilarious... the oppossum was fine... rattled... but fine.

My ex on the other hand looked as redneck as he was for a month...lol.

HORSES:
http://www.blogcharm.com/ShuvaniStablesAllNaturalHorseAndLivestockRemedyAndProductBlog/
PETS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/KenderKennelPetCare/
EXOTICS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/shuvanimals/

7:36 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

aidana,
I'd be too afraid of rabies to catch any wild animals - don't want to take 5 or is it 7 shots in the gut. Where was your hubby taking the possum? Too bad you didn't have a video camera to capture the moment ;)

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory