Friday, May 11, 2007

Magnolia sieboldii, Oyama magnolia








In the earlier post on the 'Butterflies' magnolia, I was a little dismayed that I had originally bought the plant as a Magnolia sieboldii but it turned out to be a 'Butterflies'. Well what do you know, we were walking through an HD plant section and I saw they had placed three magnolias, one each on the top of some two tiered plant benches. I guess they wanted to attract people's attention to these trees. Well magnolias always catch my attention so I looked at the closest one and almost fell over. The tag read Magnolia sieboldii! They wanted quite a bit for it but with my wife's urging we bought it. The other trees were a 'Leonard Messel which sort of looks like a M. stellata, star magnolia and a Magnolia x soulangeana or saucer magnolia.

The M. sieboldii was about 6 feet tall - a skinny 6 feet, and had more than twenty buds in various stages of development with several which had already cast off its flower casing and showing it's white petal color. I planted it immediately but we had to wait for more than two weeks before the buds opened in yesterday's 80 degree weather.

The flower buds start off sticking straight out or slightly upward but as the flower increases in size the weight of the bloom makes it hang down in a pendant position, making a view of the pink interior stamens all but impossible unless you scrunch down and look up. As the tree grows taller it will be easier to see the colorful interior by just looking up at the blossoms. I've seen photos of sieboldii that have a bright red interior which is more to my liking but the dark pink is ok too. Now that I've looked at a lot of pictures of M. sieboldii, the red colored one may be a figment of some sellers' overblown imagination and a lot of Photoshop manipulation to make the flower look more attractive! More ranting about color manipulation of plants in catalogs at a later time. The flower also has a very nice faint perfume, but you have to stick your nose into the bloom to get a smell.


The bumblebee seems to be mightly attracted to the blossom. It would not budge inspite of the camera sticking up close to it.

So now I have my M. sieboldii at last. I am content.


Update: The flowers don't last very long, 5 days or so but they turn a rather attractive peach color as they age which prolongs the viewing time.

9 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Lucky you, Ki - that original error means you get to own both of them! The seiboldii has a beautiful flower form.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

7:29 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Annie, I guess I should actively look for mis-identified plants so I would have to find replacements when the original turn out to be mistakenly named. "Oh look, those darned nursery people mis-named the plant again! I'll just have to find the correct replacement." I form and colors are very beautiful but the flowers don't seem to last very long.

9:55 AM  
Blogger kate said...

Your pictures are an absolute pleasure to see. What beautiful blooms on your Magnolia. I'm glad that your wife urged you to buy it.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Those blooms look great. I've been on the lookout for inexpensive Magnolia lately but after seeing yours I may raise my budget a little bit and splurge.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

How wonderful that you got your wish at last! Magnolias can be so beautiful. Loved the pic with the bumble bee!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kate, I was standing there looking at the tree with all those buds debating whether to buy it...we've already spent too much on plants, we don't have anymore space for another tree, we had to pay a whopping amount to the IRS just last month but I could have the tree I waited for five years, etc. when my wife said 'what are you waiting for, just buy it, I'll go get a cart before someone else grabs it.' It's a good thing she was there! I think the black background greatly enhances the photos. I won't take too much credit yet since I shoot a lot and pick only a few of the better ones.

Anthony, the magnolias are a joy to behold. The tree form looks great, the flowers certainly are very nice and some of them even have a great scent. Well worth the money especially if you buy a small one and are willing to wait several years for it to bloom as we experienced with our 'Butterflies' maganolia. Life is short, splurge.

It was almost anticlimatic when I saw the M. Sieboldii for sale, Yolanda Elizabeth. I was dumbstruck that it was really there in front of me.

That bumblebee was really attracted to the flower. It would not budge even with the camera lens just a fraction of an inch away. Since magnolias have been around a long time-they were one of the first trees to appear- they must have had a lot of experience in attracting pollinators. Could be why the bee was so persistent. Thanks for stopping by.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought this magnolia yesterday, what attracted me were the large red seedpods which remain on the tree well after the flowers have gone - do you know if the plant will set seeds if we only have one?

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! I was wondering,is there a yellow magnolia seiboldi? tnx! Filipa

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnolia Wilsonii has darker red interior.

Also, there is a variation of M Sieboldii called var Sinensis - check here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/197582/

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory