Thursday, May 24, 2007

What's blooming in white?

Spring has definitely sprung and everything is coming into flower too quickly. I can't keep up so I'll just present photos of the flowers without too much commentary.


I guess this is some kind of anemone. But I don't know the name of it. Great start Ki!



The peviously posted Magnolia virginiana.




Ornithogalum are in full flower now. I added two because one of the photos has a bug on it. I thought I missed the bug because as the camera was trying to focus, I depressed the button fully so I would get the bug before it flew off, but as luck would have it, there it was after I downloaded the photos.



White Rhododendron. Sorry, don't know the name of it. It flowers a bit later than most of the other colored Rhododendrons so even if it is plain, it gets its share of attention.



Delphinium, "Summer Stars" a short dainty little plant, no more than a foot tall.



Rhododendron "Sappho"



Sidalcea malviflora, checkerbloom, with tissue thin, transparent petals.



White azalea.



White Columbine.



And not entirely white deciduous or mountain azalea.

Not pictured: We just picked up a Deutzia 'Nikko', Deutzia crenata var. nakaiana 'Nikko' syn. Deutzia gracilis. Closely related to Philadelphus or mock orange.

8 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Ki,

You have an incredible assortment of white blooms. There's something about those white delphiniums that is so pretty. And then there are the rhododendrons and the azalea. What an incredible photographer you are!

Oh, and a few days' ago, I posted a pic of the Lewisia. It has quite a few blooms on it.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kate,
Thanks for your very nice comments. I still have a ways to go in the photo department to be in the same league as Chris of DigitalFlowerPictures or Sandy of In a Garden or Pavement to Prairie and don't have the equipment to play in their league but I'm getting better.

I've been very bad about visiting other people's blogs. There seems to be too much gardening to do but I will definitely take a look at your Lewisia. Our Lewisia finally was delivered yesterday in full bloom. What a gorgeous sight! Will post pictures soon.

Thanks for stopping by.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Hi Ki,

Those are great photos of your white flowers. I think the White Rhodo is 'Chinoides' one of the best whites with a yellow throat.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks for the name Carolyn Gail. We've had the white Rhododendron for a long time and can't even remember where we bought it let alone the name. Now we have a name for it. It is a lovely white Rhododendron.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi Ki,
You are a kind person, thanks for the pat on the back. I have always enjoyed your photographs but think you have kicked it up a notch this season.
'Chinoides' is my guess, too. they are a little smaller than most hybrids.
You are going to love the Deutzia. I think it is okay to call it just D. gracilis 'Nikko'. It is a way better plant than Mock Orange.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Chris, I planted a mock orange when we lived in a townhouse but it didn't bloom in the two years it was in ground. The aphids attacked it fiercely too so I got rid of it. I can't ever say I have seen Philadelphus! I'm glad you think Deutzia is a better plant.

Thanks for seconding Carolyn Gail's ID of the Rhododendron.

I will have to acquire better equipment to approach yours and several of the others' photos. A DSLR would definitely help but I'm resisting because of the cost and bulk. I like the portability of the point and shoots and the Canon A620 I'm using for most of the shots has made a world of difference though I still am too impatient to compose the shot well. I really should use a tripod too but I just handhold the camera and shoot a lot to hopefully get one unblurred photo. ;) Not the best way to do things but shooting a lot helps me to take better photos, albeit a very slow process.

6:10 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

You have a beautiful selection of white flowers!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks Lisa. The nice thing is that they all conveniently happen to flower at the same time.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory