Monday, May 14, 2007

Another tree peony, Paeonia suffruticosa, Light pink, with purple-pink boss




As I was wandering around the yard I came upon another tree peony hidden amongst some tall shrubs and small serviceberry trees. At first I thought it was the same color as the other tree peonies but I noticed that the petals were faintly pink. Upon closer inspection they are actually a very, very light purply-pink with a darker blush close to the center boss of the flower. So, I was mistaken when I thought I only bought the white variety. This peony also bloomed a bit later than the white ones. Again I don't know the name of the variety but a rather attractive one with the purple complementing the deep gold of the stamens.


The honeybee was...well busy as a bee and moving too fast to get it in focus but it had huge packets of pollen on its legs and the photo shows the spent stamens on an older flower.

3 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

The blooms of this tree peony are gorgeous. How tall is it? I love the way the pink/mauve colour deepens toward the flower's centre.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

very interesting peony. kinda has a a bit of a passion flower look to it. I adore the double blooming two tones.
When we move into this house 12 years ago, there were two peony plants planted in a very weird spot. They never never bloomed for years. So I moved them to a sunnier spot taking care not to plant the eyes to deep. Years again and still no blooms. I dug the plants up and gave them away with the thought that any plant that had more attitude than me had to go! The other day I found another volunteer in the back forty and thought for a second...... Maybe will try again. Wish me luck.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kate, the peony plant is about 2 1/2 feet high. I don't know how tall they'll ultimately be, but they don't seem to grow very fast. I too, like the color gradation from almost white to mauve then the shocking deep yellow. Nature seems to be able to balance the seemingly incompatible, subtle with the riotous with ease. Just enough size in the petals to balance the intense complementary colors of the boss.

Hi Lynne, Persistent devil of a plant! There must be a reason why it doesn't bloom. I just Googled it and here are several reasons why no blooms from this website on peony culture:

http://www.larrysagers.com/
weeklyarticles/peonies.html

'Failure to Bloom
Peonies may not bloom although roots and tops appear healthy. Too much shade or poor drainage prevents blooming. Peonies will not bloom if eyes on tubers are too deep in the soil or plants are cut back in the fall before the foliage turns brown. Eyes or buds should be no more than one inch below the soil surface.

"Peonies may not bloom because other plants compete with them. Lack of growing space from tree or shrub roots also prevents blooming. Late frosts may also kill flower buds in the
spring." '

So you may have to lift the peony and replant it at the correct depth in the soil as well as following the other things listed.

Absolutely, good luck!

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory