Friday, July 21, 2006

Unknown plant-weed?


We have this annual volunteer plant/s growing all over our yard but I don't know what it is, whether it's a weed or valued annual. The blossoms last only 1 day and they look like miniature hibiscus or ablemoschus but it doesn't have a woody stem and the plants are rather sprawling. I haven't seen it in any of the neighbor's yards which seem strange...maybe they pull them out before it blooms. We keep them around because the flowers are so beautiful tho fleeting.

I found some hellebores along the street curbing (the township will pick up plant material for composting)tossed out by someone . Of course being a scrounge, I snatched them up especially since they had roots and clumps of dirt attached. With the humidity we've been having they had not wilted. As I was planting them I noticed that one had a green stem close to the base of the plant and the other a reddish purple so I hope they are two different varieties. Can't wait to see the blooms.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Scavenged hellebores.
I'm jealous of your luck.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Iowa and have the same volunteer. I didn't notice the plant at first, as it was tucked in between some columbines, or I would have probably weeded it out. But when it bloomed it was so pretty - I'm glad to see someone else asking what it is!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Almost, it looks like a poppy.

Almost.

But not quite. Hm.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found it! According to "Weeds of the Northeast", this is Venice Mallow (Hibiscus trionum), a summer annual introduced from Europe as an ornamental but which has become a common weed in the U.S. Your comment that it looks like a small hibiscus was dead on.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

This is the 3rd time I'm trying to post this comment.

Hi Jenn,
Can you believe that someone would just throw those hellebores into the street! Someone's trash is my treasure.

Thanks Kay, for researching the plant. It is indeed Hibiscus trionum. Here's a good website with better pictures than mine.
http://www.missouriplants.com/Others/Hibiscus_trionum_page.html

Apparenly you shouldn't propagate them since it's not a native as you mentioned but the flowers are so beautiful if fleeting and the plant is unobstrusive so they're welcome to any empty space we have in the yard.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory