Friday, August 25, 2006

Quorn - meat substitute warning

I previously wrote about Quorn the fungi patties meatless protein source. My wife experienced gastric upset and vomiting after eating two of the breaded patties about a month ago. Yesterday after eating one of the "naked patties" the company's uncoated patty she had a severe bout of vomiting (4 times), runny nose, was very weak and will not be going to work today. I had a breaded patty and have not experienced any ill effects.

My wife has eaten the patties about 4 times and was not affected for the first two. Apparently it may take a few times before the allergic reaction set in. Please be careful if you try Quorn. Some people have experienced anaphalaxis and have trouble breathing. Here's a website that describes some of the adverse effects with Quorn.

Needless to say we threw out the rest of the Quorn in our freezer and I can no longer recommend that people try this product. I'll stick with the Morningstar (non-fungi)products in the future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight- your wife had an adverse reaction to one Quorn product previously, SO SHE THOUGHT SHE'D TRY ANOTHER ONE? And because SHE had problems with it, you thought you'd "no longer recommend" others try it? Where do I begin?

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory