Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Squirrels chopping up oak tree



This year, one gray squirrel in particular but also a black one are cutting branch tips of our oak tree to get at the acorns. This has never happened previously so why the fevered activity now? I wonder if this will set the tree back some or if it will make it misshapened?

Are they expecting a severe winter or just some impatient/ambitious squirrels? Or maybe they've made a genetic leap in intelligence and are actively picking the acorns instead of waiting for the windfall nuts. I guess I should look on the bright side - I don't have to rake up all those leaves in a few months, only pick up a few pom-poms of branch tips!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

what a mess! I don't understand that either. They have beeninthe dogwoods eating all the red berries before the birds get tothem. I wonder if they know something about this coming winter? The Hickory tree are having a bumper crop. The oaks are slow this year. we had a huge crop last year comparable to one we had twelve years ago. It goes in cycles. It would be nice to have a real winter. by that I mean a snow dy or two.
happy fall!

5:30 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi lynne, you too eh! I don't know what's gotten into the squirrels but they are definitely acting squirrely. Ate my first crop hazelnuts now the acorns. Last year was also a bumper crop for the oaks here too. Don't know what's going on but definitely strange. Good fall to you too.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory