Friday, October 27, 2006

Sidalcea candida aka checker mallow



This plant is blooming now but I can't remember if we bought it or if it came in with some other plant. Didn't know what it was so had it IDed by some good soul on the Gardenweb 'Name that plant' forum as Sidalcea candida.

I initially looked it up using Google images but found only one site that had a picture of it and it was a French site so I thought this was a rare plant or one that was uninteresting to most gardeners. I did another search later and there are lots of photos - must have mis-spelled the plant nmae Sildacea ;)

Well it doesn't have really great flowers and the flowers it has are quite small so I don't know if I will keep it although it is a native so I'm in a quandry. I feel I should so maybe I'll just transplant it in a less prominent space in the yard. It grows in the wild mainly in the Western mountain states, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico so how did it get here?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely looking plant. I am not familiar with it. Nice to have it blooming now. Maybe it did come in with another plant? I tend to gravitate toward small flowers and have to remind myself to think big flowers...

6:19 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Judith,
Well, I don't remember buying it and it has a lot of foliage for the amount of flowers so I prob. wouldn't have bought it. Must have been a hitchhiker with some other plant. What to do with it now? I hate to get rid of it but where to transplant it?

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory