Thursday, October 05, 2006

Blocking new construction with bamboo

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Several new houses are being built behind our home. Unfortunately one was sited almost directly opposite our backyard and deck and is built as close to the property line as the ordinances allow. It feels like we are totally exposed especially when the shell of the house indicated that many windows were to be placed on two levels. There are 5 windows and a sliding glass door on the lower level and 8 windows on the second floor! I can't believe there are so many windows on the back of the house. Usually there are very few.

In any case the birches planted along the property line 2 and 3 years ago will be our first line of defense. Unfortunately there aren't very fast growing evergreens so we'll just make it up with density of planting. I've already planted 2 zelkovas, a cedrus, several other evergreens, a bald cypress, redbud and a couple of magnolias. But we still have holes and most aren't tall enough yet to block out the second floor windows so I bought some bamboos which will hopefully be evergreen or at least keep their leaves and be tall enough to provide screening.

the bamboos (I love that word) in the photo are: GIANT YELLOW STRIPE Bamboo Phyllostachys aureasulcata........30'............2"........ - 20 F
GIANT HARDY BLACK BAMBOO PLANT Phyllostachys nigra punctata......60'.....4".....-5 F RED TEMPLE Bamboo Plant Semiarundanaria fastuosa: Max Height: 25 feet Max width: 2" Def. temp. - 5 F All ordered through E-bay from the BambooBuddy vendor. The bamboos were very reasonalbly priced compared to many others and arrived in good condition in about 10 days.

I also ordered another variety from a different vendor and haven't received it yet, one with orange-yellow canes. I hope these will survive the winter. They are all running bamboo as there are only a few clumping bamboo that are cold hardy and most aren't tall enough. I will attempt to keep them contained by planting in large tubs sunk in the soil...I hope it works...wish us luck.




.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

*winces*

Okay: I wish you luck.

Running bamboos scare me, or I'd have some in my yard, too. Hope you don't get escapees!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Jenn, I know what you mean. I've heard horror stories about bamboo invasions but it'll be placed close to the property line far from the house in large plastic planting tubs and we desperately want to preserve our privacy. We were spoiled having 5 acres of open space behind our yard. The new construction is a Shock!

Thanks for the concern/warning.

5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the new construction. I hope the bamboo works to create some privacy for you.

Right now my nearest neighbors are more than a block away. I dread the time when I have another house towering over mine.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi La Gringa, We had 5 years of the overgrown open space which we enjoyed immensely. Deer and all kinds of wildlife were back there, even an albino deer which unfortunately got struck by a car. So we miss not having the extra borrowed landscape. I hope they won't build too soon in your area. Thanks for your comment.

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory