Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Went crazy again

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Well we did it again. A local nursery had a sale on trees. These were probably left over from the previous year and a real bargain, $25.00 each or 5 for $100.00. The trees were spindly and tall 10 to 15 feet just perfect to help screen out neighbors, so we bought two different kinds of elm. I asked the person who runs the nursery what the trees were - he said they just got the trees unlabeled and he couldn't tell me what they were except some kind of elm. The elm could actually be zelkova but the zelkova's around here have reddish yellow leaves and these are turning a bright yellow without any red and it actually looks like the leaves of Ulmus laevis, Russian elm at least in the photos in my botanical book. The small leaf tree is turning a red orange, again he said it was some kind of elm hopefully Ulmus parvifolia, Chinese elm or Ulmus pumila, Siberian elm. We also bought two "Autumn brilliance" maples and some kind of Cedrus that I can't identify.

We have to stop going to nurseries or I'll die digging holes to plant these trees with large size pots.

Something's screwed up here. Pictures are not being displayed and I didn't post this mushroom picture...wonder what happened? I checked the preview before posting this and all the correct photos were displayed. Strange.

Well, stupid me. I deleted the photos in Photobucket so the pictures essentially did not exist any more. Had to reload them and I guess I'll have to keep them in Photobucket forever if I want them to show up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fun to go 'crazy' isn't it? Although- right now I am finding time is running out and I better dig faster before it snows. I wish your trees good health. Sounds like a bargain to me!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Judith, the sales this time of year are great. Went to a plant auction yesterday and bought two enkianthus which I have been wanting for more than 3 years for $15 each and a huge nellie holly for $8.
The trees in the photos were in a rather sorry state but they seem to be holding up so we have great hopes. I can commiserate about digging faster. I'm doing more digging now than during the spring, my back can attest to that! Thanks for the comment.

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory