Tuesday, April 03, 2007

My aching back!

I woke up yesterday with an aching back that lasted all day and into this morning too. More like a pinched nerve I think as I can't remember doing any heavy lifting or physical work.




Sooo, wouldn't you know that the UPS man would bring plants I ordered last winter. The Epimediums some of which are blooming already are from Naylor Creek nursery and the birches from Musser Forests, Inc. nursery.


On top of that we bought a bunch of Japanese Pieris andromedas from Lowes, a couple of boxwood and 5 rose bushes to replace the many azaleas we lost this year. I don't know why the great amount of azalea and rhodie die out as this wasn't a particularly cold winter but it was very windy and that probably dessicated the plants and the windchill probably made it seem colder than it actually was.

I want to get these plants in the ground because we are supposed to have cold nights starting Wed. with temps in the high 20's. I hope the cold doesn't kill all the magnolia blossoms which are starting to bloom well now.




The birches are to screen out the newly built ugly house ("the barracks") behind us and to join the Heritage River birches already planted there. They are the Japanese white birch Betula platyphylla japonica (bareroot) and the ones in pots the Japanese "Whitespire" birch Betula platyphylla var. japonica 'Whitespire'. I don't know what the difference is but the bareroot plants look much more robust even at pretty much the same height.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh wow... what a great "catch" of plants! They all look so healthy and full.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hey Kim,
Too bad my back doesn't feel so healthy and full. ;) Buying is so easy...planting so much work. That should be my epitaph.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory