Friday, January 04, 2008

Anemones continued.

I was going to do a long series of article on Anemones but the task of sorting through all the photos and naming them seems too dauntingly at this time so I've just decided to post photos in two installments of all the different varieties we grew last year in a loose chronological order.

So here's the first set.



Anemone with inch worm pretending to be a dried twig.








Anemone Tomentosa 'Albadura'





Anemone japonica 'Margarette'






Anemone x hybrida 'Andrea Atkinson'








Anemone Hybrida Prince Henry
or Anemone hupehensis 'Prince Henry'
or Anemone hupehensis var. japonica 'Prinz Heinrich' (Prince Henry)

3 Comments:

Blogger Entangled said...

Nice pictures of nice flowers!

Have you ever transplanted or divided Japanese anemones? I recall reading that it's difficult to do successfully, but I concluded that mine really need to be in moister soil. I'd hate to lose them trying to save them.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Entangled,
We tried to get rid of some 'Honorine Jobert' and dug out a patch about 4'x4'. When we came to our senses and wished we had kept the anemones the destruction was done so I had it in the back of my mind to order more but I must have missed a few rhizomes/tubers - 3 or 4 tiny plants came up and produced a few flowers 2 years ago and this year it was as large a mass of flowers as previously or even more. So the plants are very tough and I would have no reservations about dividing or transplanting them. We bought some past bloom anemones cheaply at Lowes this year but they seem to do poorly because we planted them in dry areas. The mini droughts we had didn't help but most of them lived. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones that dried up last year would sprout again this spring. They definitely do like moist soil so I wouldn't hesitate to move them.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your anemone photos. And so this year for the first time I've planted some...not these, not Anemone japonica, but Anemone coronaria.

I wonder if they are even related? At least the flowers are supposed to have a similar shape so I hope they look at least half as nice as yours.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory