Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Small fuzzless kiwi

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I saw these small kiwis, Actinidia arguta 'Issai' in the store the other day and decided to try them. They're the size of a grape and are much easier to eat than the fuzzy ones because you don't have to peel them. The taste is much the same but more muted, sweeter and less acidic with a tough skin. When cut open they look like miniature kiwi.

I let it sit at room temperature overnight and the taste has improved - much more like a regular kiwi.

If you like kiwis give them a try. Supposed to contain a lot of vitamin C too so its a healthy snack.

I'm trying an experiment posting photos using Photobucket so I hope it works. Uploading pictures to Photobucket is much faster than Blogger and easy as copying the tag line and pasting in the post so here goes. The preview shows the photo so I hope when I publish it, it will still be there.

Well, it worked but I need to find out how to size the photo to better fit the format.

Update: If there's a little give when squeezing the kiwi you know it's ripe and has a fuller taste. These are very handy for snacking as there's no preparation i.e. peeling.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I haven't tried them, but those small kiwi are supposed to be hardy to zone five!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Jenn,
I've seen ads in several nursery flyers for the small kiwi. As you mentioned they are hardy to zone 5 but apparently the vines are quite vigorous and sprawling. They will break a trellis if it is not strongly built. Unfortunately we don't have space in the yard for this plant or I would be tempted to try it.

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been growing them here in Montreal for about 8 years now.You will need both a male and female plant to produce the fruit.i started growing them for the shade in the summer and cut them back in the fall. what i'm looking for is recipes for preserves to make jams.If someone out there has any you can send them to me @ emailme.2@videotron.ca thanks Ron

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory