Wednesday, April 04, 2007

3 Magnolias

Some of the early magnolias are just coming into full bloom. Others are only in the bud stage. The morning temperatures are supposed to be in the 20's so I hope we don't lose the flowers of those that have already bloomed. One of my neighbors said he quit planting because it was so nerve racking in Spring not knowing if we would be hit with a late frost which would kill many tender plants or ruin the flowering trees. Well, his yard really looks pretty barren. I couldn't live like that!




White stellata





Pink stellatas

The photos are of the Magnolia stellata star magnolia both white and the less common pink flowered ones (this is not the Magnolia x loebneri 'Leonard Messel'but a pink form of the stellata), Magnolia "Dr. Merrill" one of my favorites with great full petaled flowers and Magnolia "Butterflies" the best yellow magnolia in my opinion.

I found that the M. stellatas have a very nice scent if you stick your nose right up into the flower.





The "Dr. Merrill" reminds me of girls twirlingly around in white dresses.




I hope the "Butterflies" stay at this bud stage until the cold weather leaves in three or four days. This is only the second year this tree will bloom. It's in ground for 4 years now. I thought I had planted a Magnolia Seiboldii but it turned out to be a "Butterflies". I always wanted a yellow Magnolia so I wasn't disappointed at all when it was not a Seiboldii.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta love a magnolia in bloom.

Thanks

9:07 AM  
Blogger Criquette said...

Hi I ran across your site while googling yellow magnolia because I forgot the variety of the one I planted last year (it is Butterflies, thank you). This year was it's first spring in the ground and the first time I've seen a yellow mag in real life. Thank God it bloomed all last week while the temps were in the 80's because we have snow and lows in the 20's Thurs and Fri here in KS.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi C. clerk,
Mags are great and have a wonderful smell too if you stick your nose in the flower. Watch out for bees tho.

Hi Criquette (as in crik, crik?),
Sorry for the bad joke. We will be hit with the 20's soon too. Isn't the Butterflies (mag)nificent. I saw the photo of yours on your blog-very beautiful! I think this is the richest yellow of all the mags. I've seen only one other tree except in nurseries. I saw a much larger tree about a mile from where we live and it was covered with flowers really looking as if yellow butterflies were covering the tree. A very aptly named mag. I wonder why no one seems to plant this variety? Thanks for the comment and glad you found the name for your magnolia.

12:45 PM  
Blogger MrBrownThumb said...

Really nice. There is a magnolia growing not far from me that I am always surprised to see bloom. I forget it's there in the winter and in the summer when it's nothing but green leaves. But when it's in bloom it's a show stopper since next to it there are only buildings. Must make for a nice view for the people that get stuck in traffic on that street.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Mrbrownthumb,
Magnolias seem to be very tough when well established. I too have seen them grow in the inner cities with nothing else growing around them. I hope the commuters and cityeits don't crash their cars oogling the tree.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

These are all beautiful, Ki - we have the evergreen 'Little Gem' but no deciduous varieties, although we use the 'shakkei' technique and borrow the view of our neighbors' tree.
I've always loved the Merrill magnolias - you made great choices.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

1:05 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Annie,that M. soulangeana borrowed from your neighbor must be in glorious full bloom by now? We have a Edith Bogue big relative of your Little Gem M. grandifolia. I love the very nice fragrance and lush white ivory color of the grandifloras.

The Merrill was a chance buy but it pleasantly turned out to be a wonderful magnolia. I bought it mainly for its luxurious green leaves but the flower turned out to be almost like the M. denudata Yulan mag. which is my favorite flower form - a cup shaped flower held upright. Hey can you tell I'm a fan.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory