Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Species tulip


The Tulipa tarda or is this the T. turkestanica? is starting to bloom. I hope it doesn't get nipped by the frost. I thought the species tulips were going to be a wonderful addition to our garden but not so. The flowers open early but last only a week or maybe two, not very long vs the 'Angelique' which blooms for a month or more. I guess I should change my mindset and think nice but short bloom time like crocus.




I've searched through catalogs for this small, early blooming red tulip but I can't seem to find it. It was left by the former owner of the house and is about the only thing we haven't gotten rid of. His taste in plants were definitely not ours. But this one was definitely a keeper.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love that little red tulip! And the white one is cute, too. How big are its blooms?

5:40 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Kim, the red tulip is about the diameter of a lemon cut in half. The tarda or turkestanica is tiny, smaller than a crocus flower, slightly larger than a quarter.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the response, Ki. Sounds like I have several places where I could tuck clusters of these guys, then. :)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Just remember Kim that they don't last very long. Nice to have something blooming early tho.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory