Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Osmanthus and Camellia update


The Osmanthus x burkwoodii which I received and planted a couple of weeks ago is already blooming. Two or three flowers at most but I can pick up a trail of sweet scent every so often when I'm in close proximity to the plant. I scrunched down and stuck my nose up to the flowers and was surprised that they smelled sort of like Russian olive Elaeagnus angustifolia. Different family but I wonder if they're not distantly related? They both have the same four petaled flower.

I read somewhere that the scent was reminiscent of gardenias and jasmine. Well, I can say that, that description is wrong. It has a strong sweet smell but not in the league of gingers Hedychium, frangipani, jasmine Jasmine sambac or gardenias which in my opinion are the acme of fragrance. Maybe orange blossoms too. If I had to choose one plant for fragrance it would be the Telosma cordata, the Pakalana Vine. Heady fragrance. Unfortunately it is a tender plant and can only be grown in the tropics.

For the plants with great fragrance we can grow in New Jersey, the Magnolia virginiana is my favorite so far.


The Camellia "Springs Promise" keeps blooming. This plant started flowering in October, stopped and kept its buds during the winter and resumed blooming again when the weather turned warmer. What a trooper. Such tenacity!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rurality said...

I think I might have a little osmanthus essential oil... I'll have to look and see what it smells like.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Ruralilty, the Chinese use the Osmanthus fragrans blossoms to scent some of their tea. I just found out that some of the Osmathus blossom extracts are used only in the most expensive perfumes and cost about $4000 per kilo. See the site below.

http://www.leffingwell.com/
osmanthus.htm

Please let me know what you think it resembles.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory