Saturday, April 14, 2007

Before the Nor'easter!




The Tulipa Turkestanica is finally almost in full bloom. The cold weather has given us a unexpected bonus in extended bloom time. You can see the multiple flowers on each stem. It was warm enough today Saturday that some honeybees were visiting the flower and unbeknownst to me an ant was on the tulip too. I am liking this tulip more and more and will probably buy some again to place in other locations.

The cut ends of some of the tulip leaves are from deer browsing on them. I sprayed a solution of about a tablespoon of "Dave's insanity habanero sauce", just the fumes of which makes my eyes tear, mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of detergent in a quart of water after I saw what the deer had done and voila, no more grazing. I would have loved to have seen the expression on the deer's face after chomping into the sprayed tulip.



I think this is a Uvularia (bellwort) but I don't quite remember. Wort is an old English word meaning plant or herb. This was a disappointing buy as the flowers are small and almost inconspicuous because of the brown color. The flower is also down-pointing making it difficult to see the interesting yellow interior.

P.S. Once again I have mis-identified a plant. Thanks to Xris for the information that this plant is probably a Fritillaria. Now which one is the question? Most likely it's the Fritillaria pinardii. Or it could be a Fritillaria michailovsky. Or least likely a Fritillaria elwesii but probably not. Your guess is as good as mine.

PPS. It is the F. assyriaca Syn. F. canaliculata, F. uva-vulpis. I looked it up in one of the old catalogs we purchased bulbs from. I remember uva-vulpis but I was trying to find it as uvu-vulpis and couldn't come up with anything.


I believe this is another Chiodoxana but blue instead of the pink I previously posted. The flower is almost as big as the pink giant but on shorter stalks and smaller plants.
P.S. This is the C. forbesii.


And one more picture of the little red tulip I love before the storm probably ruins it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

The bellwort reminds me of a Fritillaria.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks for the information Xris. I believe you're right. I looked up images of Fritillaria and it looks like F. pinardii. I really need to keep a notebook of what plants we buy so I don't keep embarrassing myself. But my ignorance is a boon for you plant id experts. Thanks for the comment.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Whatever the name of the little bell, Ki, it's very sweet. The flower I'd like to swipe is the red tulip... it has the cool floral shape of "Red Riding Hood" but without the sometimes distractingly striped greggii leaves.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose
PS Ki, are you going to make a Garden Bloggers Bloom Day post for the 15th?

2:22 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Annie, thanks for making me aware of ...Bloom Day. I was busy doing the taxes - always the procrastinator and haven't had much time to visit many blogs. I did include this post on Carol's comments because it rained very hard all day today and I wouldn't have been able to photograph anything.

Isn't that red tulip a beaut? I tried to find it in tulip catalogs but haven't had much success or I would send you some bulbs. It must be a species tulip since it blooms so early but what is it?

The camera makes the uva-vulpis look interesting. Otherwise it is almost inconspicuous and innocuous.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Thanks for participating in Bloom Day, and I hope you got your taxes done... the government gave us 2 extra days this year!

And I agree, those red tulips, are RED TULIPS! Very pretty.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Thanks Carol, yay for the extra 2 days but I knew we'd have to pay so I waited 'til the last moment. Thank you for letting me plug my blog and flowers on your popular site.
I wish I could find more of the red tulips or at least find out the name. It is a beaut. And I hope the flowering plants all survived the all day deluge and forecasted 50-60 mph winds. I hate to see what I find tomorrow.

7:10 PM  
Blogger MrBrownThumb said...

I just finished doing my taxes a few moments ago and decided to come around and have a look at some gardening blogs.

I really like your friterella(sp?) Before the cold snap I was digging around and noticed that many of mine had rotted over the winter. At least I get to enjoy 'em on your blog.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

What lovely, lovely spring flowers! And one of my very favorites, which I also have, chionodoxa. I, too, love your fritillaria. I have debated purchasing it. One of these days, I probably will.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Mrbrownthumb, Nothing like waiting until the last moment huh? ;) Too bad about your Fritillarias rotting. After the all day rain continuing into the next I should check all the plants in the low growing areas to make sure we don't have ponding and eventually rotting out of waterlogged plants.

Kylee, you may be disappointed in the Fritillaria. The brown color is what you see because the flowers are about 8" off the ground and you don't see the yellow parts unless you turn it up as I have in the photo. A conversation piece and maybe nice in a place all its own but it won't be able to compete with more noticeable flowers. Sort of nice leaves though. Like a lighter green lily of the valley. I wouldn't buy a lot. There are other varieties of Fritillaria that are definitely more conspicuous than the uva-vulpis.

3:19 AM  
Blogger Gotta Garden said...

Love both of the tulips! Just a guess (only because I have some)...is it possible the red ones are Tulipa kaufmanniana 'Show Winner'? They are the second picture in this post (http://gottagarden.blogspot.com/2007/03/todays-finds-03-20-07.html)

They are red red and have been reliable returners for me...also very early.

Sorry, I should learn that bit of how to post a link in comments!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Gotta...
I looked it up on your blog and I believe you're right. Thank you so much.

Here's the link.

http://bp0.blogger.com/
_kjPe-azXWmM/RgAalSB5m4I/AAAAAAAAAWo/
3y5s_yo9Crc/s1600-h/IMG_
3890+032007+open.jpg

If the link is too long and doesn't fit the comment window the parts that don't fit gets cut off. I wonder why they don't have an automatic wrap text feature?

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory