Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What's blooming now?

Despite the unseasonably cold weather some of the plants are persistent enough to flower or at least set buds to burst open with any hint of warmth.



These are undoubtedly the most ugly tulips I've come across. They're the 'waterlily tulips' Tulipa kaufmanniana 'Ancilla,' Before they open, the outside of the petals are a rosy pink which you can't see when the flowers open. The stalks are very short, only about and inch or so. The flower looks like it's sitting on top of the leaves which it almost is, looking like waterlilies. The flowers are too large for the plant in my opinion...the colors too garish for my taste. I'm sorry I bought so many of them but the bright colors of the interior look interesting in the close up.



The Chinese redbud and Japanese quince are budding and ready to burst open at the least bit of warm weather.


And the stand of three Magnolia Stellatas (pink flowered form) managed to survive the freezing temperatures. I guess being next to the house sheltered them somewhat while the others in the yard were further along in blooming and didn't have the benefit of the sheltering.

10 Comments:

Blogger DWPittelli said...

1) I think the tulip looks pretty cool, especially considering how early it is (i.e., it's one of very few bits of color in the garden now, I would expect).

2) You double-posted.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Early color is nice but somehow the tulip seems too artificially bright. Almost like badly made plastic flowers. Yeah, I was surprised it got posted twice. Thanks for stopping by DWPitelli.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Wow, you've got a regular flower show going on over there! I have crocus in bloom and nothing else. Are you closer to the sun or something?
:)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

Ki? I'll gladly take those tulips off your hands! I love them!

My Red Riding Hood tulips sit on short stalks, too. I kind of like them like that. No flopping. LOL.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

YAY! I'm so glad to hear that your magnolias came through okay--3 of them, anyway. Magnolias are so magnificent when they're in bloom. (More than make up for those tulips, about which I agree with you... except for my theory that ANY color in Zone 6 is welcome in April!)

4:50 PM  
Blogger DragonStone said...

That tulip is strange indeed!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Anthony, it's weird that you still don't have anything more than crocus coming up. We can't live more than 25 or 50 miles away. We do live on top of a hill so maybe the sun's rays are stronger. ;) But I see photos of plants flowering in the midwest and can't believe the same flowers I planted here have yet to even show any signs of stirring.

Kylee, if I decide to dig them up later in the year, they're yours. That's for sure, they don't flop over, they are already on the ground.

Hi Kim, I do love mags. The Jane and Butterflies are about ready to bloom and later this spring the native Virginiana the one with the gorgeous smell will be ready. Also the Edith Bogue later in the year. I think I mentioned to you that the Tulipa turkestanica lasted only for a week or so. That is not true. Because of the cold weather it's still blooming at 2 weeks. In fact it's looking even better now with multiple flowers on a single plant.

Hi Dragonstone,
'Heart's Delight' Waterlily Tulip is a species that was hybridized. I really don't know why they seem to be popular except that they do bloom very early.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

ki,

Deal! ;-)

Kylee

12:29 PM  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Ki, these pictures are fantastic. Our Mags aren't out yet but they are starting so I will be watching the temps, also.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Ok Kylee.

Thanks Chris. it's good that your Mags haven't started to bloom yet. Looks like we're in for another bout of cold weather next week! I heard a weatherman say that the sun's position is as high as in late August. I just hope it doesn't get hot with no transition.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory